Eagle

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Eagle

Post by anvilhead »

This is an eagle cut from SignTorch bird file - these drawings are very nice and ready to cut. I forged the bird - dishing the wings and body in opposing directions and then added texture marks with a chisel with rounded edges. After the forging and texturing I applied Japenese Brown Patina from Sculpt Nouveau and then 3 coats of
their water based semi-gloss clear. The overall height of the bird is 32". A small tab is welded on the back for hanging. Before welding you have to figure the ideal placement so that it will hang to your preference. This hangs in my office and has received great comments.
Attachments
Eagle 067.JPG
There is plenty of room at the top - and the top is where you want to be. Whenever you do a project - do the hardest part first and the rest will be easy.
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Eagle

Post by plain ol Bill »

The forging has added a lot to the piece - nice - well done.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

After the eagle we started forging more of the flat artwork to give it some movement and it makes a big difference. Thanks for the kind words.
There is plenty of room at the top - and the top is where you want to be. Whenever you do a project - do the hardest part first and the rest will be easy.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Eagle Mtn Metal Works »

Hi anvilhead:
That is a cool looking Eagle.
Can you shear the file? I collect Eagles and also that just happens to represents the name of my Company also. I would like to cut that out and hang it in my office I just don't have the back ground that you do. :lol:
Thanks a bunch.

Eagle Mountain Design & Decor
If it's Worth doing Do it Well
Rod in AZ.
Rod S in AZ
oldsoulmetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by oldsoulmetal »

The eagle is from a signtorch bundle i believe.
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

SignTorch is where I purchased the file. Contact Gary and he will help you. He has several eagles to pick from. I scaled this one probably 6x or more.
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

I just love what you did with this! I was wondering if you could explain to someone "thick" like me exactly how you did this? What do you mean by "dishing in opposide directions"? Also, with the chisel, did you just randomly put marks in it with a hammer? Do you have special tools? Also, what kind/gauge of metal did you use? Thanks so much!

April
anvilhead
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by anvilhead »

Dishing in opposite directions: the body in dished convex, the large wing in dished concave and the small wing and legs are dished concave. Then I use a sharp edged straight peen hammer and using an anvil I "hammer" in chisel lines to make the bird look like there are feathers. The material is 14 ga steel. You can use a rubber mallet with a rounded face and a sand bag or steel shot bag to dish by hand. I used a P-9 Pullmax with a dishing die to form. You can also make a dishing tool using an air chisel gun and weld a dishing tool shape onto a chisel and back up the artwork on a sandbag. You can look on Ebay to see what a Pullmax looks like. Hope this helps. You can google anvil fire - that's a website for blacksmiths. You may pick up some info there also.
Attachments
Eagle 073.JPG
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Thank you! The close-up actually told me alot! I have to learn all the terms, and your explanation was very helpful.

Thanks and great work!!
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Eagle Mtn D&D wrote:Hi anvilhead:
That is a cool looking Eagle.
Can you shear the file? I collect Eagles and also that just happens to represents the name of my Company also. I would like to cut that out and hang it in my office I just don't have the back ground that you do. :lol:
Thanks a bunch.

If it's Worth doing Do it Well
Rod in AZ.

I imagine you refer to icons of Eagles for collecting. I had a chance a few years back to fly some predators with a professional handler. My wife was photographing them, I was there to enjoy the WOW factor and take a few point and shoot pics. Notice the jacket with the Eagle, the handler said to keep bare skin covered. We did not ask why.

WSS
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

WOW:: Totality awesome. What a life time chance to handle the real thing. Thank you very much for that post WSS.
I believe in what the Eagle stands for, Freedom and Soring above all the buzzards. :D

Thanks' Again :D

If its Worth Doing Do it Well
Rod S in AZ
Rod S in AZ
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

Eagle Mtn D&D wrote: I believe in what the Eagle stands for, Freedom and Soring above all the buzzards. :D

Rod S in AZ
AMEN!
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

ohh I could tell you eagle stories around here! There are tons of them! Last year we were driving to Victoria, and we have to drive through mountains that border a river that pours into the ocean to get there... The salmon spawn there every year and it attracts alot of eagles.. Anyway, a juvenile got hit by a car (this thing was still massive) and nobody did anything. So much to my husband's dismay we pulled over, I took off my jacket and tried to stuff it in there (it was too big) and brought it back to the car. My kids were in the back (complete with friends) and this thing spanned my lap, and touched my husband in the drivers seat and had its head on the dash... Long story short we called the local rehab center to say we were bringing it in, and she said, "GET IT OUT OF THE FRONTSEAT" and as soon as she said it, the eagle came to, and dug its claws into my stomach. It took all of my stregnth to hold it until we pulled over and held it in the ditch until we got there. I almost needed stitches and I still have scars (and had to get tetnus shots and everything.) Moral of the story, yes, she is wearing gloves for a reason

:D

April
PS the eagle lived and was released 2 weeks later
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

awesome job. I was wondering where one might by a bead or sand bag from or how they are made. thanks
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!
redneckgateart
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redneckgateart »

Eastwood.com has sandbags...with and without mallets...$40 - $65
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

Another Eagle story,

My uncle raises sheep, and he started to notice that he was having alot of dead lambs. Well one day he noticed a Bald Eagle circling his field and he drove out to take a look all excited to see one in the wild :D . That is until he got out there and saw the eagle swoop down and pick up one of his lambs take it about 300 feet into the air and drop it :o :shock: . The lamb was about 4 months old so it wasn't tiny by any means. Well he called the Game Fish and Parks to come out and try to remove it. The officer came out a couple of days and a couple of lambs later and said he could set a live trap for it and take it a couple of 100 mile away and release it but when he did that the eagle would just come back and probably beat him home. So my uncle ended up having to put all of his lambs in the barn for a few months until they were big enough to not be lunch anymore.

Kind of crazy but also pretty funny to here my uncle tell the tail.
Eagle Mtn Metal Works
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Thanks' guys:
Grate stories. We have property in Colorado and we have two Eagle's living on the land. Would love to be up there right now lol: :lol:
Thanks' again.

If it's Worth Doing Do it Well
Rod S in AZ
Rod S in AZ

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”