New Coal Forge Build!

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

New Coal Forge Build!

Post by Scratch »

Back in about 2007, I used my CNC table to build a real nice propane gas forge for my very first forge, and while it worked well, I quickly realized that I needed something that could handle a wider piece. So about a year later, I ended up making a simple coal forge from a wheelbarrow tub, some clay, and a clothes dryer blower. I figured I'd make something simple, quick and cheap... then when I get more experience and could figure out exactly what I wanted in a forge, I could build one specifically to suit my needs. Well I finally went and did it, and it turned out so well, I thought you might like to see it.

If you have the desire, and haven't yet... I highly suggest you try blacksmithing. In my opinion, it's super fun, and can add some very cool design elements to your metalwork peices. There's definitely more labor that will need to added to your estimates... but it's fun and you might gain a new customer base from it. Plus you get the added possibility of many more burnt fingers!

To reminisce... here is a picture of my first gas forge I made using my CNC table, and also the disaster that I called the wheelbarrow forge.

I won't bore you with all the build pics, but I used my CNC table to cut out most of the parts for it. It's made mostly from 3/16" steel and 2x2 tubing, except the firepot which is all 1/4". Some of the design features it has are:

Easily movable.
Any side can be the front.
Easy to replace fire grate.
Replacable fire pot.
Tong/tool holders on 3 sides.
Cutouts on all sides to get your work low into the fire.
Movable power switch to anywhere on the forge body..
Removable work support for longer pieces.
Quick and easy ash dump.
Power cord storage.
Sweepable forge body.
Lots of room for coal.
Air gate.
All components self storing when not in use.
Chicks dig it.

Here's some finished pics:

I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
drodgers
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: New Coal Forge Build!

Post by drodgers »

nice! i wana see it in action! how how have you gotten it so far?
Vicon Table
hypertherm hpr 130
Haco cnc brake
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

^^^ ditto, video please :mrgreen:
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

drodgers wrote:nice! i wana see it in action! how how have you gotten it so far?
It's been too cold to get a fire started in it so far. I'm kind of a wimp and only go outside the house to get the mail in the winter.
It'll probably sit unused until spring.
Euclid933
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Euclid933 »

Looks a good design.
I've been interested in building a forge myself for many years, but finding the time is always the problem. I end up using the gas torch, which isn't so handy for heating up large parts or several at once.
biggator850
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by biggator850 »

This thing is BAD ASS!!!!! I am impressed with the design and how well thought out it is. Blacksmith work is something I have been wanting to try, but have not had the time. Don't mean to sound like a dumb ass, but I'm from Florida and have never used coal (much less can I get it). Can the fire be built with hardwood like oak to build the coal bed? I'm guessing the fuel will be consumed much faster and ash buildup will be a problem.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

biggator850 wrote:This thing is BAD ASS!!!!! I am impressed with the design and how well thought out it is. Blacksmith work is something I have been wanting to try, but have not had the time. Don't mean to sound like a dumb ass, but I'm from Florida and have never used coal (much less can I get it). Can the fire be built with hardwood like oak to build the coal bed? I'm guessing the fuel will be consumed much faster and ash buildup will be a problem.
Some blacksmiths do use real wood charcoal instead of coal in their forges. It really needs to be charcoal though... Not actual wood. I could be wrong, but I think it would take too long to get the wood to burn off all the impurities and moisture, and turn to charcoal. You can make your own, but I hear it's a pain in the ass to do.

You can buy hardwood charcoal though. I've bought it before and used it. It's the same stuff you'd buy for grilling, not charcoal briquettes though... It has to be hardwood charcoal. It looks like burnt wood from a fire.... well... It is.

It works great for forges, that's what they used to use in the old days before coal, but it sparks more and burns up quicker than coal does. Of course it's a lot cleaner to burn and you can cool hot dogs over it as well!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”