Just playing

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Just playing

Post by AdrianH »

It's getting on for Halloween, so I thought I would have a play making a tea-light.

Rather than mess with bits of thin stuff and bend it round to shape thought I would have a go with some left over square tube. This stuff is 70 mm box (2 3/4 inch), 12 gauge so around 2.7 mm thick.
boxtealight1.jpg
boxtealight2.jpg
boxtealight3.jpg
I would need to sort out a jig to accurately centre the cutting , but it will do for now. Bit of a pain cleaning the inside as space is a restriction, so soaking another piece overnight in Hydrochloric acid (muriatic) to see if the stuff just drops off. It was better after I remembered to leave a scrap piece down the middle so cutting the top did not blast the inside with dross.

Anyway it was just a silly idea to use up scrap pieces, the images are I think bought in and made up so no dxf.

Adrian
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Just playing

Post by acourtjester »

Looks neat I'm sure you have posted an idea some will follow. Sometime you just have to have fun :D :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

I went slightly larger in the cut area and centred the items better after comments from SWMBO, I basically played for an hour in the garage.
boxtealight5.jpg
boxtealight4.jpg
It's fun to play home made.
Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Good thinking there, like the shadows.
It's tricky enough getting cuts centered sometimes on likes of box, especially for those with a keen eye :lol:
I've been finding it easier placing the centre of the drawing on zero, zero in sheetcam and then same in mach lining up with a centre mark on the part.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
AdrianH
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AdrianH »

I was at one point considering putting some laser pointers in the torch, but then thought for my use, maybe one day?

What I decided to try was to line up with the edge of the 70 mm box so I drew this sort of thing in Qcad
small box section pumpkin 2.jpg
small box section pumpkin 2.jpg (19.96 KiB) Viewed 905 times
Done on two layers, guide lines on one and the pumpkin on another. It meant that X, Y = 0 was bottom left corner.
In sheetcam I only cut the pumpkin layer but I could line up just on the edge or as close as I could get.

Forgot to say that the overnight soak really helps in the removal process, 99% of the dross came off with a wire hand brush.

Adrian

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”