Detroit Metal Studio - 1/16" ALU Test

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
dms
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Detroit Metal Studio - 1/16" ALU Test

Post by dms »

Hi Guys,

Robby here with DMS, a newbie to this forum. I thought I would share pictures of our very first cuts using Hypertherm PowerMax125 on a 5x10' Bulltear running CommandCNC. The test material is 5052-H32 1/16" Aluminum with mill finish and we ran the cuts using FineCut Consumables at 250IPM using 35A @ 100V, 75PSI, and 0.125 lead-ins (standard pierce/cut heights as per the manual). Dross was very minimal and we used a knot wire cup brush to give it that finish. My biggest lesson learned with this experience is to avoid cutting such thin gauge aluminum on a water table by all means...specifically, when using FineCut consumables. We had to stop and go many times becuase the PowerMax125 kept throwing the 0-30 fault code (specifically 0-30-1 for anyone that knows this). After reading through several posts by JimColt, we started an in-house process of elimination to find the root cause of the problem. We buy all of our consumables through AirGas locally and run our air with an Atlas Copco GX11FF (15HP) rotary screw compressor with built-in dryer over AirNET aluminum piping. So, we ruled out those 2 items. Next up was the air pressure drop locally to the PM125. We have an additional air filter/regulator/gauge at the PM125 and tried to let air in at 90-110PSI with approx. 5-10PSI drop each time the torch went ON and did not see any major difference. We also tried switching out between 3 sets of brand new FineCut consumables. While each new set allowed us to go a few extra seconds, we determined that the only thing constant in the entire setup was the water mixed with baking soda. Now, I could be completely wrong but I strongly believe that the water (mixed with Arm & Hammer baking soda) splashing directly at the torch had significant role in causing this error. We also tried the same cut using standard 45A shielded consumables and did not exhibit this problem. This leads me to believe that the FineCut consumables are more susceptible to malfunction when cutting thin gauge metal on a water table. Would love to hear your input!

grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Detroit Metal Studio - 1/16" ALU Test

Post by grindergary »

I cut .035 aluminum all the time with 45A fine cuts and have had no problems. I also cut .0625 and have had not had the problems you are having. My water is anywhere from 1/2" below to just touching the back side. I find there is no dross on back side and nice clean cuts.
Very nice cuts by the way!
Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
BTA Plasma

Re: Detroit Metal Studio - 1/16" ALU Test

Post by BTA Plasma »

Fine cut consumables fail often when you have too much air pressure set on your machine. Is your plasma machine set to auto or manual? Water should not affect the consumables you will have positive pressure between cuts. Also Baking soda is not a rust inhibitor. Sodium Carbonate is but not Sodium bi-carbonate.

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”