Still going like hotcakes...

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Still going like hotcakes...

Post by abmetal »

It seems like these things are really taking off.

Allen
Attachments
letters with names.jpg
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Still going like hotcakes...

Post by little blue choo »

You got it. I patinaed 9 today and will be clear coating them tomorrow night. I meant to finishing them tonight but spent time with family instead. I haven't painted any of them black. What do you get for yours?

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

We get $70 ea. They're all powdercoated with "Baby Rockstar Sparkle". Everybody loves the sparkle, especially women. Wifey says it's a woman thing.

Allen
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

I patina and clear coat mine and sell them for $65. I've sold so many now that I hate to go up because most of the people buying are doing so because they saw a friends and know what they paid for it. Wouldn't want to rock the boat. I was thinking of going to $75 before the Christmas season hits. I did see a picture of your finish the other day and it looked good. Keep up the good work.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I sell 22" versions for $65. 95% patina, a few paint. I completed another 15 yesterday. Automotive rattle can clear coat.

I'm in the same boat...I need to bump the price to $75 to be more comfortable on margin (didn't realize how much Torch F/X is needed for effects), but now we have a lot of repeats or referral orders. Tons of anticipated Christmas orders (based on "I want one for Christmas" comments) as well.

I'm ordering a 4x4x6 powder oven today. I think the powder option will 1) bring more orders (copper vein finish, for instance), 2) make the product more weather/rust proof (either colored or just a powder clear coat), and 3) speed/ease/simplify the finish process. Patina is easy, but I have to do it outside, and it's getting cold. Paint sucks all the way around. Need the powder for other product lines as well.

How do you prep your parts prior to powder? I will be going from HR to CR or P&O, to remove the acid/mill scale step. I have a sandblaster, so I could blast/etc each part. I know phosphating is an option, but I haven't looked into details yet.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
primaldesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by primaldesigns »

What gauge of steel are all of you using.
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I use 14. Lots of folks on Etsy are selling 16 and 18, but that just seems super thin to me. On this Regal font, the 14 provides a nice, solid, rigid piece. On some of the other other split fonts I do, which are more "light and airy", even the 14ga becomes a bit wiggly. I'd hate to see what it's like with 16 and 18.

It looks like the OP is doing standoffs. I've been putting keyhole or sawtooth hanger hooks on mine. I just ordered a powder oven, so I may push for more "mount out in the yard if you want" applications now. I've been suggesting my patina or paint remain under and awning, for outdoor use. Even with a spray clear coat.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I have not done this but some of you may want to do this for commercial signs.
Combine 2 or more letters to form a sign. maybe another font would be better too :lol:
fanny.svg
(34.2 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
fanny's.jpg
fanny's.jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

We make ours from 14g. P&O. I put 1" standoffs on them, Wifey beadblasts them and a friend powdercoats them. He does a super job and is very reasonable. So far, all of them that he's powdercoated have been in the Baby Rockstar Sparkle because it's what everybody wants. I primed, painted and clearcoated the first few but it was too time consuming. We sell them for $70 but I'd feel a little more comfortable at $75.

Allen
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Allen,

What size are yours?
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

We are getting $75 for black, $95 for copper patina, 16" tall, 16 GA crs . Powdercoated.
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

They measure 14+" tall and measuring the bars are 16+".

Allen
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Yeah...we're way underpriced. LOL I'm going to be raising my prices October 1.
abmetal

Post by abmetal »

Motoguy,
Another reason we have them powdercoated is that they're UV resistant. That way, hopefully, the finish will hold up longer exposed to the elements.

And what are you raising your prices to?

Allen
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I've got a powder oven on the way, for the same reason. I was not comfortable telling people they can put their patina/rattle can clear coat item out in the weather. I suggested they would be ok next to a door, under an overhang, but would not want them any more exposed. With a powedercoat clear, they be both UV stable, as well as a better rust-resistant coating. Simply, if it's going to be outside, and it's going to be steel, it needs to be powdercoated (IMO).

We had planned on raising our prices $10, to $75. I currently offer the 22" for $65, 24" for $75, and 26" for $85. New pricing would be 75/85/95. I have not been charging extra for patina, because frankly, it's easier for me than paint. With powder, that may change. Seeing these smaller 16" items selling at $75, I wonder if maybe I should raise them higher (or reduce sizing for my $65 product).

My pricing had been based on the "pricing calculator program" posed here by davek0974 (http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=17569). 22" size, $.035/sq in material charge, $.035/ in cut charge, $0.04/pierce charge, 10 minutes of computer time (customizing name) and paint selected at $70/yard pricing (which is approx $24...or 24 minutes of time).
22in charge.JPG
We have received lots of feedback from our customers that our price was lower than they expected.

I checked, and I've got about 15-20 minutes of prep time in each one (post cut), from the time I remove from the acid bath (hot rolled), until the patina is force dryed and ready for clear. I usually clear in batches, so I didn't assign a fixed time for that. At $60/hour, that's $15-$20, which is right in line with the "paint" fee charged in the program.

Add in the 10 minutes allocated design time ($10), and we're at $25/$30.

$1.50 worth of piercing, $17 worth of materials charged (22"x22" square, at $.035/in^2), $17 worth of cutting. That's $65.50. That, in theory, should be accounting for everything except the patina/paint chemicals.

On top of that were the hanger tabs I use on the back. I let these cut from the skeleton in the background, out of the "scrap" material. I don't necessarily feel they incur a "time" charge (but they do incur a consumable fee). When they're done, I throw them in the tumbler to let them smooth, so no labor time there. I DO have a small amount of labor time in bending them, and welding them on the back. Say...3 minutes/$3.

I've decided to just order/use these, instead: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... CLOGCHH1S0 At $0.24 each, it's not worth the consumable wear on the torch, time cutting the skeleton, and tumbler/bending time.

That's why I felt an additional $10 (from $65 to $75 for a 22" piece) would put me in a position to be more comfortable. Based on the above information, it seems that $75 for a 22" piece, powdered or patina, should put me in the "fair profit" area.

I am completely open to suggestions, however.

I'm not looking to gouge for every nickel I can. I want prices to be calculated in a repeatable way, as well. That being said, if the market will bear more than I'm charging, and keep everyone happy, that's a good thing. As it is, I've been swamped with orders for these things, to the point of putting me behind schedule / backed up on non "split monogram hanger" orders. Another reason I wanted to bump the price...I'd be ok slowing these down just a bit.
jbailey
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jbailey »

Nice!! Could I ask what font you use?
primaldesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by primaldesigns »

This is the split monograms that I use. I notice it's a little different style from the ones already posted.
I joined 2 split monograms together for this file. This one cut at 12"H x 24"W.
Attachments
VW Monogramed.jpg
VW Monogramed.jpg (110.98 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
jbailey
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jbailey »

Again Nice!!! Thanks!
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by MidAmericaIron »

Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the split monogram files? Looks like great Christmas gifts!
radnurse68
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by radnurse68 »

MidAmericaIron wrote:Just out of curiosity, where are you getting the split monogram files? Looks like great Christmas gifts!
JUST GO TO ETSY AND PUT SPLIT MONOGRAM IN THE SEARCH. THERE ARE MULTIPLE TO CHOOSE FROM AND THEY ONLY COST A FEW BUCKS FOR THE ENTIRE SET.

STEVE
Stephen W. Sparks RN,CRN
Creating Sparks Metal Worx
Arclight Dynamics Arc Pro 12000 5X10
Linux, Sheetcam, Inkscape, Solid Edge
Hypertherm 85
MIllermatic 175
AHP Alphatig 200X
Kool Koat 3.0 DPW

"Ridin around having a big time!"
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

I get $125 for something like this. Has standoff from the wall also. This is out of 16ga, plenty strong just under 20 inches. The pic does not do justice for the colors but it pops pretty good, the letters have a pearl rub then cleared.
Attachments
image.jpeg
zoeconner
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by zoeconner »

Where are you guys finding the fancy fonts?
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

jawslandshark wrote:I get $125 for something like this. Has standoff from the wall also. This is out of 16ga, plenty strong just under 20 inches. The pic does not do justice for the colors but it pops pretty good, the letters have a pearl rub then cleared.
jawslandshark, it looks like you have cut your piece and then cut the letters of DORRIS a second time and applied them to the original slightly off center to give a shadow effect. I just enlarged your picture and I'm about sure that is what you have done, if so it would be worth the extra money. Love the look.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
jawslandshark
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jawslandshark »

Rick,

That is exactly what I have done, I just tack weld them on the back. When I cut them just add the second letters over to the side using any drop material I can. Most people are eager to pay the extra money for that look. It also makes it easy to rub the pearl on the letters before clear coat. I have about 5 more that people have ordered, I usually don't do the art stuff but at the moment is making me a little extra money. Thanks for the compliment.
jbailey
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jbailey »

Thanks Steve for steering us in the direction of Etsy. I found the website and ordered my split monogram for $3.95 for the whole set. Downloaded without a problem, now to set them up and cut them.

Julie

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”