Crackle finish and sponge on paint

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Crackle finish and sponge on paint

Post by parrotlady »

Inspired by Scratchs' post, here are a couple of other ways to finish pieces..

Crackle finish - buy a bottle at any craft supply store - dirt cheap - all it is really is glue.. Follow instructions; basically decide on a couple of contrasting colors, paint a solid coat, let dry, apply crackle with brush; let dry until tacky, then apply the other color(s) of choice. Cracks will appear as it dries. Clear coat, and voila - instant antique.

Sponge on paint is similar to what Scratch posted, but basically apply one coat of paint at a time, allowing it to dry in between, but instead of applying paint to the object, dip your rag in the paint, or spray the rag itself and just dab it sporadically over the object. Layer with different colours. I will attempt to upload some pics. Keep in mind I am not artist of the year.. just playing around with paints and airbrushing and stuff.

April
Attachments
red fish1.JPG
Turtle1.JPG
moth4.JPG
moth3.JPG
moth2a.JPG
plasmajoe
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Crackle finish and sponge on paint

Post by plasmajoe »

Very nice April, I especially love your moth, awesome finish.

Plasma Joe
trucks1948
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by trucks1948 »

April,nice work.I cut that same turtle and bend the legs down and the head up,looks niceJim
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Thanks for the other ideas April! I'll definitely be trying out that crackle paint. And I love that moth!
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by parrotlady »

Awww shucks, thanks guys, you are good for my ego! :oops:
As for the moth, it was a practice piece (as you can tell by the bad cutting job).. I do have better examples of the crackle finish, I just havent yet taken photos. It works best I think with a dark colour underneath, and lighter on top. Quick dry spray paints dont lend themselves well for the top layer of paint because they dont allow the paint enough time to crackle. Airbrushing works best.

Take'r easy

April

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”