Rag Rolling Finish

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Rag Rolling Finish

Post by Scratch »

I had a client who had a storage rack made of wood that they keep outside and put plants on and stuff. there was a part of the rack that had rotted out I guess and they repaired it structurally, but they needed something to cover up the repairs, and they wanted it to be metal. They just wanted a simple rectangle about 25" X 18" made from 3/16" mild steel.

They like the random varied patterns in the finishes I get by applying Japanese Brown patina cold. They don't want to have to worry about rust though.

Then I remembered watching the spray paint artists on the streets of Vegas and how they sprayed multiple colors on the paper, then used newspaper, while still wet to pull off the paint and how it looked a little like the patterns I get when I use JB. I took a faux paint class once and they called it "Rag Rolling".

I used all Rustoleum Hammered line of paint here. I find it to be more durable than some others. I put down Copper, then dark bronze, then dark brown. Then applied the newspaper, and peeled it off.

It turned out way better than I expected and the client loves it! It's got lots of good durable paint too so I'm not worried so much about rust, and I love that! There's lots of good contrast and depth to it!

Anyways... I'm sure alot of you have seen those "spray paint artists" on the streets somewhere, so I thought I'd show the same technique used on metal. The next time I do it, I think I'll use plastic wrap though because if you wait too long to pull the paper off, it can rip.
faux.jpg
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
parrotlady
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Rag Rolling Finish

Post by parrotlady »

Nice Scratch! Did you let the first layers dry first, or did you just overlap them all while wet and do it all at once??

Thanks

April
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Naw... I just slopped the first layer on, then the second, then the third. Real quick like. Then layed the paper on it and pulled it off. Had to do it quick while the paint was still plenty wet. I let the first spot dry a little and the paper stuck, and there were these gross black strings all over.... I said "EEEEEWWWWW" :? so that was enough of that.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
fitzy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fitzy »

Nice job scratch beautifulwork as is always the case with your designs and projects thanks for the inspiration.
-fitzy-
It ain't braggen if you can back it up!

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”