More Plasmacam jobs

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
hinesigns
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

More Plasmacam jobs

Post by hinesigns »

Sorry for the order they come up in.
Had a
animal hospital & weeks 002.jpg
animal hospital & weeks 001.jpg
animal hospital & weeks 007.jpg
couple of good weeks on 2 jobs in the same Ind. park
animal hospital & weeks 004.jpg
animal hospital & weeks 003.jpg
animal hospital & weeks 006.jpg
animal hospital & weeks 005.jpg
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: More Plasmacam jobs

Post by Scratch »

Great job! How are the letters mounted?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
hinesigns
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hinesigns »

Bought a capacitor-discharge stud welder (Lynx) from http://www.Internationalwelding.com. at the sign show in Orlando in April.This machine is unbelieveable. You can weld alum.,S.S. or steel studs,up to 5/16" x 3" long. Absolutely no discoloration on 3/16" front side. I had to add 3 extra studs to the black dog after it was painted & held my breath as I pulled the trigger.You could hear a large sigh all over Nova Scotia when I turned it over.Great. You can touch the base of the stud seconds after pulling the trigger. Not any heat.
Used .75" aluminum studs. Placed one s.s. nut directly behind the letters on each stud as a atand-off , installed them through a predrilled pattern & attached s.s. nuts as fasteners. Back of sign & main substrate is Diabond painted to match trim on bldg.
Hope this helps.
I will describe the pattern layout.
Using my Signlab 8 program, I generate the same pattern as the plasma cut file. I weed the latters (remove) & install the
pattern using pre-mask (application tape) to a piece of ridgit waste narerial (from an old sign). I then select the area for best support for each letter or graphic. I mark these with a felt tip marker & drill 1/8" holes through each mark. Now we take our cut lerrers & lay them where they should be on my parren.To keep them in place I use double-faced carpet tape.It is easy to remove later & leaves no glue. Turn the pattern over being careful not to dislodge any of the letters.Masking tape over each letter will guarantee they didn't move.
Now using the 1/8" holes drilled earlier,gently drill the back side of all the letters and it will leave the mark where you can weld the stud.
Remove all the letters & number each one to match the words they were used in. How Did I Learn This.......
Don't throw this pattern away yet. You will now place it on the background material you will fasten them to & drill your stud holes 1/8" larger than the stud you are using. Make sure the back of pattern is smooth....GO FOR IT STUD.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

So if you didn't put the nut on the stud as a stand off, will the letters lay flat on the other steel? I'm trying to figure out how I can get let's say letters to lay flat on steel without welding them together. If I use 3/16" or thicker, I cut the head off the bolt, and do a plug weld. It'll lay flat then but If I'm using thin steel, sometimes I can't do that. I can weld the bolt or stud on the back of the letter, but then the weld acts as a stand off.... This might be the ticket for me! About how much are those things?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
hinesigns
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hinesigns »

The studs have a very thin flat spot when they are walded. 0.030 is the th1ckness at the base of the stud before welding & it almost goes away when welded. Contact the company & they will send you a list of studs, pins & tap pads. I think you would be more than happy with this machine. Let me kmow how it goes & I can send you a close-up of some of the studs & pins I have used.
The machines have a MSRP of $2,800.00 but tell em I bought one & I think they will bring it close to $2,100.
Let the body & metal fab shops know you do this type of work. It is totally portable in a suitcase (68LB) & plugs into a 110 system. Have stud will travle.
hinesigns
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hinesigns »

I don' mind putting prices on work.
WEEKS was $8,900 & the vet was $6,200.
wwwhinesigns.ca

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”