Desk nameplates!

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Desk nameplates!

Post by Loyd »

I cannot believe how well these things have gone over..... I hope you guys can make some money off of them. I charge $25.00 each....painted.
Loyd
The butterfly still wins out. I just purchased a Kawasaki 1500 vulcan classic so the motorcycle one is for a guy at the motorcycle shop.
The butterfly still wins out. I just purchased a Kawasaki 1500 vulcan classic so the motorcycle one is for a guy at the motorcycle shop.
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
Ted383
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: Desk nameplates!

Post by Ted383 »

Nice work Loyd. Where do you sell them?

"Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."

Loyd

Post by Loyd »

I make a few for the various receptionists I know. Like the insurance co., doctors office, local businesses that I frequent. once people see them they start asking about them and there it goes!
It only takes 4 to make a hundred dollars....that is the way I look at it.
Loyd
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

What part of the world do you live in?

I showed a few samples of my work to a local florist and one of the employees asked if I could make a house number for her, based on one of the designs. I took down her wants and drew up the attached proposal. Keep in mind that the use of that copyrighted bucking horse will cost me 7% of the sales price in royalties to the University of Wyoming.

It's 12x16, 14 ga with a hammered copper powder coat which requires a clear coat. I emailed the scan (below) and offered it for $27.50. All I want to do at this point is get some of my work out there in the public eye and get folks asking about it.

I didn't even get the courtesy of a 'no thanks'.
Attachments
Scan.JPG
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
Ted383
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Loyd

Post by Ted383 »

PC or rattle can?

"Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason."

Loyd

Post by Loyd »

I live close to Searcy, Arkansas. At the motorcycle dealership where I just bought a Vulcan 1500 I took the motorcycle nameplate to the finance guy and he thought that 25.00 was too cheap! I got an order about 5 seconds after someone else that worked there saw it. I have given away a few just for the exposure.
Rattle can Rustoleum hammered finish. If I were to powdercoat it it would cost them more. You really have to hit the doctor's, lawyer's, banker's and business owner's wives somehow to get sales. Women make the majority of discretionary spending decisions. I have tried for some time to get some sales like that. It seems like you either have to hit the flea market crowd or the upper crust crowd. The upper crust crowd once you break through looks at the quality and uniqueness more than price......am I the only one or the first one to have this? It's vanity I know but vanity pays more $$$$
Loyd
Loyd

Dano.......

Post by Loyd »

Dano,
I think you are about $10.00 too cheap. That would be a nice looking piece especially powder coated. We are all inclined to lowball ourselves. We see all the imperfections of our own work. Years ago I bid a job of putting in a drainfield for a friend of mine's father. Due to a bunch of unforeseen circumstances I wound up digging 3- 75' trenches 2' deep by 18" wide and wheelbarrowing 56 tons of rock to put in those trenches. The bible says that the Lord loves those who swear to their own hurt and changeth not. What that means is, if you say you will do something and you find out you are going to come out on the short end of the stick, man up and do what you said you would do. Now, I said that to say this.....That taught me a great lesson. I now get all the facts, pay attention to details and think long and hard about my bids. I bid work all the time. My main job is installing, maintaining and supplying car washes with chemicals. My other job is building welding cable and oxy/acy reels. I just finished rebuilding 7 reels for Burlington northern railroad, and another for BP oil company. When I quote work I do NOT lose money anymore. Do not sell your work too cheap, I would rather give it away than do that. I give people a fair price and do not "rip their heads off" but I will make money on my products or will do something else. I will make my product look good and if the customer is not pleased I will do it over. Most people have no clue the difference between PC or rattle can. I personally like PC over all but am learning to do airbrush so I can add a different dimension to my products.
Man! did you get me to "rattling on" or what!! Just trying to help...
Loyd
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Loyd

Post by AnotherDano »

Ted383 wrote:PC or rattle can?
Powder coat; PBTP Penny Vein with Glass Clear.

And Loyd, thank you for your insight.
I went to an online store in Cheyenne and priced out the same piece. It came to about $56.00.
It's tempting to contact the lady with this information but I think I'll just let it slide. If she ever realizes that she had a great offer and comes back, the price will not the the 'introductory' price. She already rejected that one.

Call me stubborn. Polite, but stubborn.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”