Our annual VW show

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Our annual VW show

Post by Oldsarge »

We always do well at the VW show, and it's our 3rd visit this year! Here's what I've been working on for this years show:
Iron Skull Clock
Iron Skull Clock
This is an Iron Cross clock scribed with skulls.... I made the pendulum with a skull too!
Finish Detail
Finish Detail
A better view of the finish...
Skull with Sickles
Skull with Sickles
Dubbers like their skulls and anything rusty! This is copper with flame and torch FX
Sugar Skulls
Sugar Skulls
Sugar skulls are wildly popular... If you can, add them to your arsenal, I can't make them fast enough...
Workbench
Workbench
This was a quick snap with my cell phone, but I liked it so much I made it my profile picture... Busy in the shop! Hope all you are as well!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
plasmajoe
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Our annual VW show

Post by plasmajoe »

Nice craftsmanship Sarge.

Plasma Joe
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by DXF »

Those look great! Have you ever had problems over copyright issues?

Dave Hanks
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

Would you happen to have any kool dxf files of the Sugar Skulls?
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

DXF wrote:Those look great! Have you ever had problems over copyright issues?

Dave Hanks

Never... I don't do a lot of branded things, not worth the chance, but I've donated VW related items to major dealerships with never a question asked.... VW related items are absolutely flooded all over the internet, ebay, pinterest, etsy, samba, Amazon and more... A factory rep told me once that it's a subculture kind of thing that's not officially supported but recognized and appreciated... it drives sales.
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Charlieboy wrote:Would you happen to have any kool dxf files of the Sugar Skulls?

I do, but the thing about the way I do these is there is actually minimal conversion work done for plasma cutting.... I scribe the interior work, and let the trace do what it wants to, which relates to lines going wherever they want to without regard to what stays, what falls out. Some of the skulls take almost 90 minutes of scribe time, and 30 seconds of plasma for the perimeter, and maybe the eyes or other small features. Because of that, the finishing options are different, and the prices they bring are pretty good because of the detail, and how unique they are.....

That said, I'll post a few conversions later today, but just be aware that they are absolutely not ready for straight plasma cutting in any way, and they would take a TON of work to get them ready to cut....

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

The scribed skulls with a pearlescent red is sick on that clock, one of the better pieces I have seen.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
Charlieboy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Charlieboy »

I have been playing with my plate marker a little bit on my table, you talk about 90 minutes of run time, what prices do those pieces bring?
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Well impressed with all those, the red pieces are superb, nice work.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Incredible work.
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

What are you using for paint (like on the clock)? It appears to be a candy concentrate clear...maybe?
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

A few more pieces from today's run... Just a few more hours of finish work and it's time to load the truck for the show on Sunday! These aren't powdercoated yet, but they still look amazing!

Oldsarge
Red.jpg
Green.jpg
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
Buzzard Gut
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Buzzard Gut »

Very Nice! We were into the VW sand rails for years, and some of those pieces would look nice tacked on the rig.
The older I get, The better it was!
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cracker Red »

Maybe someone can help me here....but how does the candy paint not fill in the scribe marks on the skulls?

I scribe'd out a sweet skull earlier today and need to color it up...but I'm afraid paint will just fill in the scribe markings.

How did ya do that?!?
Attachments
IMG_20140530_172944.jpg
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

Cracker Red wrote:Maybe someone can help me here....but how does the candy paint not fill in the scribe marks on the skulls?

I scribe'd out a sweet skull earlier today and need to color it up...but I'm afraid paint will just fill in the scribe markings.

How did ya do that?!?

You're not laying down opaque paint... It's translucent.... or use some of the excellent dyes from SteelFX which are translucent.... Then the clear paint, or in my case clear powdercoating actually highlights the scribe lines. You need to experiment with llines, differing colors etc.... It took me over 2 years of playing with combinations of paints, dyes, patinas and powders to get these finishes.... Scribe a bunch of wavy lines on a piece of scrap and play around with the colors and techniques... You'll get results! Here's the most popular one I did for the show....
10151220_239723212898434_2747391885971296776_n.jpg
1610062_239723202898435_2040177491790927585_n.jpg
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Stunning finish again!
Are the translucent colours powder as well?
Well done.
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

SeanP wrote:Stunning finish again!
Well done.
The colors are paint... What makes them look different is that instead of shining and swirling the steel, I use a 5" ceramic Diablo brand sanding disk on an orbital sander to sand the piece... then I carefully polish sand the areas I want bright, and finally clear powdercoat over it all. Some areas I tape off like the border, others I want the colors to mix with each other, so I'm applying colors over each other within seconds of each other so the colors intermix and you get those gradients....

Give the dyes from SteelFX a shot... they are translucent, stand up to powdercoating really well.... clearcoat really wakes them up.... one thing that I see people doing though is that they don't get enough product on the work... the dyes dry extremely fast I think, and it results in more of a "frosted" look.... you have to maintain a "wet edge" when applying finishes, or at least that's my experience... YMMV!

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Thankyou for the insight, it's very effective, I didn't realise you could powder over paint.
I feel an oven project coming on soon :)
Oldsarge wrote:
SeanP wrote:Stunning finish again!
Well done.
The colors are paint... What makes them look different is that instead of shining and swirling the steel, I use a 5" ceramic Diablo brand sanding disk on an orbital sander to sand the piece... then I carefully polish sand the areas I want bright, and finally clear powdercoat over it all. Some areas I tape off like the border, others I want the colors to mix with each other, so I'm applying colors over each other within seconds of each other so the colors intermix and you get those gradients....

Give the dyes from SteelFX a shot... they are translucent, stand up to powdercoating really well.... clearcoat really wakes them up.... one thing that I see people doing though is that they don't get enough product on the work... the dyes dry extremely fast I think, and it results in more of a "frosted" look.... you have to maintain a "wet edge" when applying finishes, or at least that's my experience... YMMV!

Oldsarge
Powermax XP45
Table build gallery
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cracker Red »

That is awesome! I always thought you had to have a base (opaque) coat down in order to candy something like that. Looks great! Thanks for sharing Sgt!
sc6917
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sc6917 »

Very nice, you do awesome work! Thank you for sharing!
Dick Vander Meer
Nampa Idaho
Arclight Dynamics Arcpro 4800
Powermax 65

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”