first paying job

Plasma Cutters can be used to make some amazing products & projects. Upload some pictures of projects you've completed using your plasma cutter.
sleepyweezle
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

first paying job

Post by sleepyweezle »

St.Andrews Park sign.jpg
St.Andrews Park sign.jpg (148.05 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
Hey guys this is my first paying job done with my plasmacam. I'm new at this so some input from you guys would be great. I did the design using coral graphic suite and cut it out of 10 ga. and had it powder coated. what would you guys sell it for and what would be a ball park price on powder coating. I think the powder coating company ripped me off. The sign is 42''x48'' and is 10 ga. The posts are 4x4 tubing and are 10' long
GoingCustom
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: first paying job

Post by GoingCustom »

Looks great and congrats on the first paying job! As far as price goes, materials +10% markup, $150 shop supply fee (diesel, grinder pads, chop saw blade, welding wire/gas, etc), 16 hours of labor @ $50/hr (computer time/cnc time/cleaning of the piece/time to and from powder coater/install time), plus cost of said powder coating. Or if you use the excel spread sheet that was posted on here for figuring cutting cost, incorporate that however you want.

edit: I have no idea what powder coating costs, so dunno if you were overcharged.
Travis
http://www.goingcustom.com
one of a kind gates, fine art and CNC designs
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Very nice sign . . . Beautiful park . . .

As to a powder coater . . . look for a guy that does fencing . . . he will be used to large panels . .

Looks great . . .

Steve :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

Powder coating can be figured at 5.00/sq' for single coat. Add 50% for a topcoat (clearcoat). Powders have a wide range of price per pound, so don't forget that factor.
A primer base is another factor to add in, as is media blasting and base treatment like phosphate.

Don't forget the back side!
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

sleepyweezle wrote: I think the powder coating company ripped me off. The sign is 42''x48'' and is 10 ga. The posts are 4x4 tubing and are 10' long
What did the powdercoating co. charge?
natewelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by natewelding »

$250-300 for the sign, mark up 40% material for the posts, powder coat (mark up 25%) I assume you dug/drove the 4x4's into the ground for stability. I wouldn't do it for anything less than probably $1,000
sleepyweezle
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sleepyweezle »

I had phoned around looking for prices for powder coating when I gave a quote to the customer so it would be included in the total price and was quoted between 300-400 over the phone but didn't get it in writing. when I went to pick up the sign which was 2 days late and I was handed a bill for just under 700. So needless to say I didn't make much because I quoted the job at the 300-400 for coating.
metalart
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by metalart »

Well I don't know about you guys but we would be up over $4000.00. Dependent on how long it took to design the whole thing, plus if you erected it, even more.
natewelding
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by natewelding »

Man o man I would love to live where a bunch of you do, it seems like my prices are always wayyyyy lower than most of yours, and I still think mine are high sometimes
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

$700 to powder coat? Are you effing kidding me? There is no way my powder coater would charge over $150 tops to do one that size. That is a bummer.
conradestrada
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by conradestrada »

To media blast and powder that is about 350-400 bucks those are stock colors and not much there 700 is a little high! It looks like two colors?
sleepyweezle
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sleepyweezle »

its all one color and I figured it should have been 300-400
rwehavinfunyet
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rwehavinfunyet »

OMG.... We are a powder coater in Port Clinton ohio. That would of been a 150.00 job. you know i can powder and ship back to you if you ever need a job done!
Lisa Davis
Davis Metal & Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/pcplasma
Plasmacam
hypertherm 1000
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by illusivedf »

Yea I would say 300-400 single color would be the ball park I would be in. Not really worth the time to do it for much less, especially with blasting for an etch profile and cleaning mill oil off. Probably use almost a similar amount of powder as a set of rims.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating

Return to “CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery”