Z-axis or THC Issues

CommandCNC related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Z-axis or THC Issues

Post by Econdron »

Sorry in advance for another one of these... I searched the forum and read a few threads on the same topic, but I tried all the solutions found in those, or they didn't apply to my setup. So here's where I'm at right now:

CandCNC full automation bundle, running CommandCNC for Linux. I've got it wired to what I believe is the most recent recommend way. In CommandCNC, when I tell the system to home z, it goes until it trips the mechanical switch, and reverses the switch offset which I've calibrated. When I tell the system to do a Z-touch off, it goes until it trips the ohmic sensor and stays there. So I believe the Z switches are all working fine.

I've cut out some simple shapes, and letters, there's a some tuning to be done regarding the cut-quality, but for the most part it cuts pretty well. I tried something more intricate the other day, an eagle specifically with a lot of fine details, and feathers and such. It cuts for about 2 minutes without any problems, then it will suddenly just take a sudden dive during a touch off and knock the torch off. I tried doing the same shape I think 4 times, and each time it failed at a different spot, but around the same time-frame after starting to cut.

I've tried with the DTHC off and on, both with the same results. I've tried increasing my rapid clearance (up to 1") and plunge clearance (up to .5"), tried decreasing DTHC sensitivity, and increasing Velocity Anti Dive percentage, all with no change. I've seen two different issues happen, one the torch gets knocked off, then the system proceeds to make a cut with at an angle (magnetic breakaway), and the other it knocks the torch off, then gives an error something like the system has exceeded the Z-axis clearance with any contact with the probe and shuts off. Like I said, feather touch and mechanical limit switch both work, it's almost like they fail partly through. Any ideas?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Z-axis or THC Issues

Post by acourtjester »

I don't have the Linux version but here is something to check. The ohmic sensor should be hooked to the Z home pin and the mechanical switch should be hooked to Z limit pin. This way the command for Z home works with the ohmic sensor and if it fails then the Z limit will stop it from crashing. I am assuming the mechanical switch is the floating head switch in place of a lower Z limit switch.
The torch taking a dive when it is cutting is odd if you were using the DTHC you may be loosing the arc voltage. But you said you tried it with it on then off with the same result. Don't you have a switch on the magnetic breakaway?
Are you using the correct post processor?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

I know the ohmic switch is connected to the Auxiliary 1 port, and the I believe the mechanical switch is connected to home. From what I understand, wiring it this way is supposed to be a fail safe for the ohmic sensor that doesn't shut down the machine. So if the ohmic sensor doesn't trip, the mechanical switch does and it applies the offset to that. That way the machine doesn't keep shutting down if there's a bad connection or rusty metal inhibits the ohmic connection.

But I'm wondering if I have some of my settings off. The mechanical switch may actually be my issue. Maybe the ohmic sensor doesn't have a good connection and the other switch isn't working as a limit OR a backup. So the torch just keeps diving until it stalls. I'll have to go back through the manual and make sure I wired and configured everything as it should.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Maybe one of the command CNC users will give you better info, there are some here who can speak with more authority then I.
They will get you going keep, checking you learn more when things hit a bump.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

I set mine up the same way. If you followed the instructions in the PDF below, then the only thing I can think of is your 'Plate' wire may not have good connection to the slats through the machine frame. Use a multimeter to see what the resistance is from where you connected the plate wire to the slats. This could explain why you could miss the the ohmic sense every once in a while, but it doesn't explain why the z-axis switch isn't doing its thing. I am guessing that you don't have a setting right in the configurator. Check all of the settings outlined in the link below and make sure your z-axis switch is wired normally closed and the z-home invert button is unchecked.

http://candcnc.com/commandcnc/32-bit/0.8.0_features.pdf
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Econdron wrote: when I tell the system to home z, it goes until it trips the mechanical switch, and reverses the switch offset which I've calibrated. When I tell the system to do a Z-touch off, it goes until it trips the ohmic sensor and stays there. So I believe the Z switches are all working fine.
Home should go to the switch and stop

Touch off should hit the ohmic or switch, raise to the switch offset, and zero the axis

Page 9 in DTHCIV Rev3 manual 8-)
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Oh yeah... I don't think it is a THC issue. The THC doesn't come on until after the pierce and then a delay.
Steve

Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

Simko wrote:I set mine up the same way. If you followed the instructions in the PDF below, then the only thing I can think of is your 'Plate' wire may not have good connection to the slats through the machine frame. Use a multimeter to see what the resistance is from where you connected the plate wire to the slats. This could explain why you could miss the the ohmic sense every once in a while, but it doesn't explain why the z-axis switch isn't doing its thing. I am guessing that you don't have a setting right in the configurator. Check all of the settings outlined in the link below and make sure your z-axis switch is wired normally closed and the z-home invert button is unchecked.

http://candcnc.com/commandcnc/32-bit/0.8.0_features.pdf
I think you might be on to something with the ground wire. It's kind of hokey how I have it mounted to the frame right now, I'll fix that ASAP. Also one thing I'm not sure on, did you remove the jumper out of the feather touch box? I'm not talking about the jumper in the main control box, but the one on the actual feather touch module. I currently have that removed, so maybe that's why the switch isn't working? But I seem to remember the ohmic sensor wasn't working while it was connected...
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Econdron wrote:Also one thing I'm not sure on, did you remove the jumper out of the feather touch box? I'm not talking about the jumper in the main control box, but the one on the actual feather touch module. I currently have that removed, so maybe that's why the switch isn't working? But I seem to remember the ohmic sensor wasn't working while it was connected...
That jumper needs to be in place to function properly.

Did you modify the location of the orange and green wires at the controller end (green 5-wide connector) per the PDF I posted above?
Steve

Econdron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Econdron »

Yes, that I followed that PDF word for word. THEN I removed the jumper. I'll put it back in and see if it works. Thanks for your help!
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

The jumper is in series with the old LIMITS signal line so you could expand the string . The Z switch will not work if you remove that jumper. Perhapos the jumper you are talking about is the one on the Table I/O for the EPO (E-Stop)? It DOES need to be off if you are using the Z swtich as an E-STOP but NOT if you have it wired for a backup touch-off as per the Manual
tara
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tara »

I realize the ohmic change is associated with the Assistant 1 port, and I trust the mechanical change is associated with the home. From what I comprehend, wiring it along these lines should be a safeguard for the ohmic sensor that doesn't close down the machine. So if the ohmic sensor doesn't trip, the mechanical switch does and it applies the balance to that. That way the machine doesn't hold a closing down if there's an awful association or corroded metal hinders the ohmic association.

Be that as it may, I'm thinking about whether I have a portion of my settings off. The mechanical switch may really be my issue. Perhaps the ohmic sensor doesn't have a decent association and the other switch isn't filling in as the farthest point OR a reinforcement. So the light just continues jumping until it slows down. I'll need to revisit the manual and ensure I wired and designed everything as it should.
Electrical Engineer.

Return to “C&CNC CommandCNC”