CandCNC feathertouch now not working correctly

CandCNC plasma table components discussion forum
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

CandCNC feathertouch now not working correctly

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

After installing the FT -01 and successfully using it for a while now, it has gone and stuffed up in me. Now when it touches on the plate it senses and turns the "SENSE" light on. Then after breaking contact, the sense light stays on. Will not turn off at all. So now i cant cut anything. Back to the mechanical touch off control then. This system is giving me the runny poos. Why cant it just stay working???????
Home built 3400 x 1400mm (11 and a bit X a bit over 4.5 feet)
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Some air dryer off the internet
Another water seperator I found unused on a shelf
Refrigerated air dryer
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: CandCNC feathertouch now not working correctly

Post by tcaudle »

The FT-01 is a simple contunity tester protected from high voltage feedback. It has no internal locking feature. To test disconnect the two wires to the torch labeled TIP and PLATE . Use a short jumper and the Sense should come on when you short between TIP and PLATE and turn off when you remove the short. If it stays on the module is defective. If it does not its not the FT-01. Something at the torch is causing the short. It can be as simple as debris in the nozzle or a bad shield.
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Regardless of clean shield, good contact and jumping the shield straight to the PLATE it fails and goes into reset. It will not work reliably. Now have more issues. See thread above.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

You prove nothing if you insist on mucking about with the shield. You completely skipped or failed to list if you tested the basic FT-01 functions at the FT-01 module. If its the FT-01 there is one direction. If its after that you go another. You can get more timely direct help on the Support Forum ( and it was monitored during the recent holiday) .
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

I have tried the CandCNC support forum and i have never had a response back previously. So that is why i post here. I have tested like you wrote. I do not "muck" about with the shield. I set everything up as laid out in the manuals.

I will try again the CandCNC support forum to see if i can get a response. After operating faultlessly for several weeks, the faults and errors keep piling up.
Hypertherm Powermax 45
CandCNC Bladerunner IV
Refrigerated air dryer
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Take and jump the plate to tip on the FT-01 and see if the sense light comes on. If it does then its a problem with completing the circuit. Shields get dirty and often don't have enough continuity to complete the circuit. The ohmic retaining cap's little bent tang can bend out of the way not completing the circuit. Beyond there if the system is not showing sense on the FT-01 after jumping plate and tip but the power is on then you may have a broken FT-01 module.

If it isn't powering up you may have to replace the power module. The system is VERY VERY simple as far as getting it wired and operational. But any electronic with more than one component can be subjected to failure :shock:
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

Well, so far you have not posted and I went back several weeks to check. Since all posts come back to my inbox with a link its hard to ignore.
mechanicalmongoose20
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by mechanicalmongoose20 »

tcaudle wrote:Well, so far you have not posted and I went back several weeks to check. Since all posts come back to my inbox with a link its hard to ignore.

I literally had my feather touch installed and running in about an hour.....even after a few beers. :lol:
5x10 PPLLC GANTRY
PMX45
CANDCNC 620-4 OHMIC FEATHER TOUCH
VELOX Z AXIS WITH CUSTOM MOUNTS
SWAG FINGER BRAKE
ALPHATIG 200X
HOBART 210MVP
BensPlasmaAu
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BensPlasmaAu »

Tom,

Many apologies for not reposting after all that. Unfortunately I had a very bad situation in life and things got too much so the machine and all that work disappeared into a storage unit and I lost A GREAT deal of money. In fact I almost lost my entire workshop (and years of hard work) because of a bad business partner. In the end I worked it out. I was struggling but found a few loose and poor connections in the wiring harness to the module. All working now.

Again, all I can do is apologise for my frustrations.

Ben

Return to “CandCNC Forum”