Miller and Hypertherm torches

Discussion forum for Lincoln & Miller plasma cutters
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Miller and Hypertherm torches

Post by Mountain Home »

I have a Miller Spectrum 2050 and I have been looking for cutting guidelines for different thicknesses of metal.
The owners manual is not very useful so I got this idea after several of Jim Colts post about the Hypertherm
manuals that I would find one of their machines with the same specs as my miller and try the settings they recommend.
I found that Hypertherms Powermax 900 not only seems to have the same specs but when I look at the exploded view both
torches they look identical. My question is, does anyone know if they are the same? If so, any chance the parts would interchange?
Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this subject.
Randy
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Miller and Hypertherm torches

Post by jimcolt »

Hypertherm has designed and built Millers torches for quite a few years. Some of the Miller versions...especially yours...look very similar to the Hypertherm torches....however the consumables are not interchangeable. The interchangeability issue was a marketing decision made quite a few years ago so that Miller distributors could sell Miller torch parts...and Hypertherm distributors could sell Hypertherm torch parts. So, on the earlier torches of the same power rating (the Hypertherm 900 was a 55 amp output...I think the 2050 was 50 amps) the cut specs from Hypertherm and Miller were very similar.

On todays Miller vs Hypertherm torches...the Miller versions are more different. Hypertherm does not provide the same technology to Miller that is in Hypertherm's torches.....as an example the Hypertherm Powermax45 uses a patented conical flow technolgy torch, while the similarly sized Miller plasma uses a Hypertherm built torch that is very nice, but different technology.

Jim Colt
Mountain Home

Re: Miller and Hypertherm torches

Post by Mountain Home »

Jim, thanks for your response, I guess that I can forget using the fine-cut consumables on my Miller.
Randy

Return to “Lincoln & Miller Plasma Cutters”