Torch advice -Trafimet 545 Plasma Torch

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
generatorlabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Torch advice -Trafimet 545 Plasma Torch

Post by generatorlabs »

I am currently using a handheld Trafimet S45 plasma torch in my CNC setup. I machined a capturing plate for it and since I am doing this at the hobby level it works well. I am using a CandCNC Low Cost height controller also.

So here is my problem. Anytime I want to use the torch for severance cuts or free hand cuts I have to disassemble the rig I built. This exercise is getting a little old now. I think it may be time to invest in a dedicated torch. So any input here would be really helpful.

I am looking for
a) a straight torch
b) low cost hobby level torch (I have seen some of the monster torches some members have, way too big and $$commercial$$ for me)

I would like to be able to install fine tip consumables on it

I am using it with a 50 amp unit.

Should I stay clear of the ebay stuff?

Thanks for any advice.

Dan
elkriverfab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Torch advice

Post by elkriverfab »

As far as ebay, stay away from the off brand Chinese junkers for sure, too many things could go wrong and not to mention interference.

However, I have bought several good used units off of ebay (name brand) and have had good luck with them.

If you do go used make sure it has seen little use and no production time.

Go for the guy who bought one thinking he was going to use it and then it sat on the shelf (can find them).

Just stay away from the off brand, you will spend a lot of time trying to get it to work correctly.
And then trying to find parts if something goes wrong???????? or consumable replacement????????

There are just to many good units to look into buying and the no name units will be a Vegas dice roll.

Just my two cents :D
"OK, Now hold my beer and I'll try it"
generatorlabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by generatorlabs »

OK Thanks Elkriverfab

I pretty much figured the China stuff was gonna be trouble.

I also forgot to mention that I do not have a high frequency start. My torch uses pilot arc. So I think my choice of torches may shrink dramatically because I think most of the straight torches are designed for HF start. Is that a correct assumption?

Besides the obvious guys like Miller or Hobart is there a vendor I should be looking for?

As a goof I just logged onto ebay and the only straight torches I saw were the Chinese knock-offs.

I tried the trafimet website and they only offer straight torches for HF start.

I was thinking maybe I could gut another handheld torch and make a nice aluminum tube housing for the head components. Have you seen anyone attempt that?
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

I dont think you will find a torch from another brand that will plug and play with your machine, you did not state the brand cutter you have.
Most if not all cutters use a different conector for the torch, no swaping between brands, thats not to say you cant convert one, but that pesky safty thing will most likely get in the way.
Good luck
generatorlabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by generatorlabs »

Hmm....I thought most torches followed a similar design? I understand there is a big difference between HF start torches and Pilot Arc torches so of course I would need the torch with the right technology for my machine. I also thought the ends were bare on replacement torches and you had to supply the needed ends and screw them on. I know the ends on my torch can be replaced with allen screws

I am using an Everlast 205 multi-process machine.

All input appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Generally plasma torches are engineered specifically to work with particualr power supplies. Hypertherm has straight, machine torches for all of its current systems with the exception of the Powermax30. Hypertherm was the original inventor of the blow back style , non high frequency torch....most of the other manufacturers produced similar but different technology in order to not infinge on design patents.

In order to get the best performance...the power supply DC output must be programmed with the proper ramp-up and ramp-down of DC current (this dramatically improves consumable parts life) as well as proper timing of the air flow....as the air flow moves the electrode inside the torch at the precise moment of correct power supply output....this creates a short circuit spark that ionizes the air, starting the plasma process.

Some of the lower cost import machines use generic torches (some high frequency start and some non -high frequency) (either style of torch can be designed for a pilot arc start). The systems with the best performance have torches specifically designed for the power supply.

FineCut consumables are an exclusive Hypertherm technology, and are only available on Hypertherm air plasma torches.

Hope this helps out!

Attached pics are of a Hypertherm Powermax85 mini machine torch....with a SnapNCut magnetic torch mount....as well as the picture of Hypertherm's quick connect torch.
new pics 003.jpg
Powermax45 001.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by jimcolt on Wed May 25, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
generatorlabs
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by generatorlabs »

That magnetic mount is a novel idea for sure!! Thanks for the pic. You have given me a couple of ideas. Thanks

Dan

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”