S45 Trafimet torch- machine equivs? (pilot arc start)

Discussion forum for RazorWeld, Everlast, and all other plasma cutters.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

S45 Trafimet torch- machine equivs? (pilot arc start)

Post by Countryguy »

Hi everyone, My Everlast unit is a PP50 w/ CNC connected to a CandCNC setup. Been running fine since 2013 on a PPLLc 8x4 table.

I run both the S45 hand-wand in a torch controller, as well as the Trafimet Machine Torch. The S45 Machine torch has NEVER cut very good. Usually I waste a few days and lots of testing, Then toss it aside. I recently cleanly cut 7/8" plate w/ this little 50amp unit w/ the hand-wand in the cnc torch holder. so I know the unit is fine.

...Are there other torch heads I can replace the S45 with? I would like to possibly try another head if there are some other Pilot arc starts that could replace the S45 style? anyone know?

On a side note, the recent addition of a 3D printer to our shop has allowed me to design and print a new custom torch head that is a custom fit for a $39 S45 head assy. But I would like to make something for another head that may offer better results? Or is S45 a leader in the 40-50 amp pilot arc space? Tis new to me on the head end gang.

TIA!
CG.

PS- If you have not played w/ Fusion360 and some 3D printers yet, I am TOTALLY hooked. It's "what I did on my Summer Vacation"
Last edited by Countryguy on Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maryann
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: S45 Trafimet torch- machine equivs? (pilot arc start)

Post by Maryann »

Not a big fan of Neverlast plasma-tech help is Nada! You did not say how many amps you are running thru the torch (45 @ 60% is max) Do have a real Trafimet or a Chinese knockoff.

Call Larry @ Weldmart (281-432-0250) he is an old fart, but he has a European 60 amp machine torch that will plug into your machine. I bought one of his Razorweld 45 plasma with a Hypertherm style (European) machine torch-uses a 100 amp electrode-they last and very reasonable. You can use the Hypertherm fine cut consumables and get kick-ass cuts.
Countryguy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Countryguy »

Tx Maryann... just getting back to this post.. Been doing other CNC stuff.... Got everything back up for a Plasma project this weekend. Good news is I cut everything I needed w/ no issued. PP50, 2014, CNC port connected w/CandCNC Bladerunner DTHC II on Mach3. I just run my $50 home made S-45 head converted into a torch style end and assy. .. It's fine for what we do, but I am going to check out that torch you noted! I just love the S-45 cheap consumables cost.
...anywho, I will call. Sound like what I need for some more of the finer jobs and thicker cuts stuff.... FUN to get this all running again and cut today. been missing it.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

There is some info on the everlast on this thread
https://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=23700

R-tech, A plasma table manufacturer in the UK suggest a different torch that uses Hypertherm Consumables

Everlast Australia sold me a Trafimet S75 torch for the 50 amp machine but I've recently upgraded to a Thermal Dynamics A120 cutter (120 amps) as mentioned recently on that thread.

Return to “RazorWeld, Everlast, & All Other Plasma Cutters”