It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:27 pm

FastCut CNC Table W/Flashcut Program...Tolerance Adjustment?

Fastcut plasma table discission forum
large_time

FastCut CNC Table W/Flashcut Program...Tolerance Adjustment?

Postby large_time » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 pm

I have a few questions on a procedure regarding taking what I believe to be slack out of my gantry rollers.

I may be completely off base on this assumption that I even need to make an alteration to the guide wheels....just putting that out there.

First off, this table is awesome, for being 10 plus years old it still amazes me as I look over it... the construction quality is well thought out and structurally sound. The welds are even remarkable, I love everything about this table and being that its so heavy.... it will be mine for a long long time to come!

I would respectfully request that you fine tuners of Plasma tables and torches take a look at the pics and give me a few recommendations on what I'm doing to introduce these errors.

Mostly its the circles....they aren't right.

How much "play" should my gantry and geared belts have?

I can adjust them so they are snug and I can adjust them where they are binding....is a happy medium what I'm looking for? That's what I'm leaning towards now.

My other question is how do I make the delay go away for my torch after the first cut... my torch sits there before each cut and eats steel... I understand the need for a delay but would like to figure out how to control/dial in the timing for it.

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

Gamelord
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Re: FastCut CNC Table W/Flashcut Program...Tolerance Adjustment?

Postby Gamelord » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:58 pm

I may be wrong here so someone else please correct me if so...but, I think there should be absolutely zero movement at all in your gantry in all directions - it shouldn't be binding, but it should be rock solid when idle.

Also, the delay is in your software. I don't use Flashcut so can't say where, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the program can chime in.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD

large_time

Postby large_time » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Gamelord wrote:I may be wrong here so someone else please correct me if so...but, I think there should be absolutely zero movement at all in your gantry in all directions - it shouldn't be binding, but it should be rock solid when idle.

Also, the delay is in your software. I don't use Flashcut so can't say where, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the program can chime in.

Well, I tightened up the belts and adjusted the rollers on it and then tried to jog the machine..... No Movement...

So, I went into troubleshooting mode and checked for binding... and I found metal shavings near the stepper motor....YIKES!

So, I took off the pulley and found that the allen head keyway had backed out of the gear that the motor drives... created a little grove and under a good load it was slipping.

Well, not any more, this baby is tuned up and running like an exotic car at 12k RPM's...

I now have to drill down this pausing to pierce the metal business... it melts my otherwise perfect cut.

I drew up a few "Challenge" coins with my logo on them, they looked great in Rhino3d... but when I went to convert them to the flashcut it came up with errors....

So happy with this machine, so glad that its so user friendly and rock solid!

Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

large_time

Postby large_time » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 pm

This machine has me smiling so big right now!

It has hardly any slack at all, its humming along so dang good.

I thought I would share with you guys and gals a sign I cut that was in the share gallery!

I stopped along the way to allow my air compressor to catch its breath and to not exceed my duty cycle for the Miller Plasma cutter.

Very proud of this sign, I want to make a bigger one next time out of thinner metal so the details are not lost.

Tried a trick of spraying the top of the metal with a spray chemical that is intended to keep spatter off of my mig gun.... worked awesome! Next time ill spray the backside of the metal to see how it does with the dross.

Also cut out these walking targets for the next time I hit the range.

Such a great feeling seeing the plasma table flawlessly carve this out!

Large Time Fabrication

WWW.Facebook.com/LargeTimeFab

"Life is Short, Live it Large"

Return to “Fastcut CNC”