Sacrificial table support slats

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Wine Country
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Sacrificial table support slats

Post by Wine Country »

After watching my 3/16" X 4" table slats getting burned up and made totally uneven, I have decided to try to take cheaper 1" angle iron and make a subframe from 1/8"X 1" flat to place on my table. I figure the 1" angle can run the length of the table on 6" centers and the 1/8" X 1" can sit between the 3/16" X 4" slats and be welded to the angles to maintain spacing. I work mainly with 16ga to 10 ga material. This would keep my main slats intact,and allow only a coating of
plasma cutting slag to accumulate on them,which normally just scrapes off. Has anyone else done something simular?.It
just becomes frustrating to lay something on the table and have it rock back and forth, and my torch gets a false pierce
height when the material springs back up. Marty
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sacrificial table support slats

Post by weldguy »

Hey Marty

I am trying to picture what your describing and not figuring it out. I use cheap 14g hot roll and shear it to 53"x2.5". I run them on 3" spacing across my 4' axis. The reAson they are longer is because I bow the slats to reduce vibration noise. The slats sit on angle iron that I slotted on the chop saw every 3" and welded to the table. 3 pcs. of angle in total, 1 on each side and 1 in the center. The slats are cheap and fast to replace.

Weldguy

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”