My Homebuilt Air Dryer

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
large_time
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

My Homebuilt Air Dryer

Post by large_time »

Well,

My new air compressor from Lowes got delayed another week so I have had time to build my air system getting ready for it's arrival.

I read a lot about people building their own air dryers on a few sites and went out searching for something to build.

For some reason I could not find a plumbing place that had any thick walled pipe to make my origional planned pipe with 2 caps on it.... PVC was out because it wont take more than 130 PSI and safety was an issue because exploding PVC bits with desicant dosen't sound like something I want getting into my beer when it explodes.....

So, I picked up a 20lb sandblaster from Hazard Fraught for 45.00$, I put an inline filter on the bottom to trap any of the dessicant beads inside the tank and the window on the bottom will also let me know when I need to recharge the dessicant when moisture shows in the glass.

The pressure tank has a fitting on the top that I bought at Lowes that is a blow off valve that will not let the vessel get over 115 PSI, the tank is rated for more but not much more.... and that thing going bang would be a terrible mess.

In the pics you can see that just downstream from the dryer (6' of hose) there is a pressure regulator and element filter that should clean up any residual moisture or contaminants before my beautiful Hypertherm 45.

I found a ton of places selling dessicant in lots of forms, Gel, Beads, Crystals and even a few sites that recommended silica sand and rock salt for moisture removal..... I decided that beads would be the best even though they are the most expensive out of the choices. I figure when i need to recharge them I can easily pour them out from the pressure vessel and not have some sort of solid moisture ridden salt block that will not ever come out of the tank.

The plan is to position this dryer behind the table, hence behind the 3/16" steel shield under the table, just in case it goes pop at some point in time.

These beads are about 25 bucks a gallon and I figure I will need about 4 gallons to fill it up.

All in all, it should work out pretty good....now im just waiting for the compressor and the beads.

Enjoy

Large Time Fabrication

WWW.Facebook.com/LargeTimeFab

"Life is Short, Live it Large"
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: My Homebuilt Air Dryer

Post by Granite »

Nice work! Keep us posted with regard to this design keeping your your torch dry and happy!
large_time
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by large_time »

Granite wrote:Nice work! Keep us posted with regard to this design keeping your your torch dry and happy!
Will do brother!
Large Time Fabrication

large_time
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by large_time »

Well, I got excited today and jumped the gun on the arrival of the dessicant beads. I figured I would try the "Epsom Salt" in the tank and see how it worked.

Overall, I am impressed.

I ran my little undersized compressor for a few hours and it was making its usual moisture....

The gallon of salt I put in the container/bead blaster sucked it right up.

At the end of this evening I pulled the top and with a little air pressure help I emptied my dryer.... what came out was very moist salt. If it was left to its own I'm sure it would have clumped.

So, I'm thinking that this thing full of Epsom salt would work just fine.

The filter on the bottom of the cavity had a bit of salt and moisture in it in the end but I was done cutting

So, at 3 bucks a quart, I think this stuff works.
Large Time Fabrication

vmax549
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by vmax549 »

I wonder how that is going to effect your plasma machine long term sending that salt vapor though it.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
large_time
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by large_time »

vmax549 wrote:I wonder how that is going to effect your plasma machine long term sending that salt vapor though it.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
I thought about that, probably similar to someone living by the ocean....

It worked well, just like kitty litter probably would.... I think I will stick to the dessicant.

there is something cool about the little beads turning color when they are full of moisture....
Large Time Fabrication

Itsmejoe231
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Itsmejoe231 »

We use desiccant dryers at work in a larger capacity but we regenerate the desiccant. To do that you would need another tank just as you have and connect them together with pipe and valves in a way where the discharge from one tank (good air) is purging out the other at a rate of 3-5 psi. You are putting good dry air from lets say A tank into the other B tank removing the moisture that was collected when B tank was in service. After about 30-60 minutes of service on A tank, swap the valves around where B tank is in service and you purge out the moisture in A tank. The purge air is vented to atmosphere and only takes 3-5 minutes to purge out the moisture. After you purge the moisture you can shut off the valves and let it sit until you have saturated the desiccant in the "in service" tank.

Desiccant is good for 5-6 years if it only removes moisture. If it gets saturated with liquid it will not last long at all and cannot be regenerated. This being said you need a good water separator in front of both of these so the desiccant can do its job and last a long time.

On the other end of this the desiccant will get pulverized and create dust so you will need a good filter on the outlet of these. This will keep the powdered desiccant out of your plasma cutter.
large_time
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by large_time »

Thanks for the reply.... I just noticed it.

I am a little bummed out that the desiccant gets pulverized.... I really was hoping to not have that happen... I guess getting all that air pressure rushing past it in a metal vessel takes it's toll.

Thanks again!
Large Time Fabrication

KineticArc
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by KineticArc »

Large Time,

I was wondering how this dryer is working for you? How is the desiccant holding up? And, how are you regenerating the desiccant?

Thanks
abmagrum
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by abmagrum »

Hi, Large Time
You should check out this pre dryer on the forum by Old Sarge

In the search .type. my under $ 100.00 air dryer

This pre dryer takes most of the moister out. before the desiccant. its worth a look.
Arclight 4x4
hypertherm 65
corel x6
mach 3, sheet cam
miller 211 auto set
grzmnky
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by grzmnky »

vmax549 wrote:I wonder how that is going to effect your plasma machine long term sending that salt vapor though it.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
Well, Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) isn't the same as table salt or sea salt (Sodium Chloride)...

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”