4x8 Build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

4x8 Build

Post by Militant83 »

It is finally time for me to begin my plasma table build. Now be patient with me as this may take a while to complete as I am building it in stages as I get the funds. However, I wanted to go ahead an start the build thread to document the process and to use as a place for me to get advice on the build without having to make numerous threads on each individual topic or question.

Here are my initial thoughts so far for the build.

4x8 table built from PPLLC Magnum 7 plans
CANCNC Electronics
Custom self built gantry
CANCNC Super Z Zaxis
Hypertherm 45XP with Mechanical Torch

This is what I have estimated steel wise for the table build.
20’- 1.5x2 1/8th Rectangle Tube
90’- 3x3 1/8th Square Tube
25” ¼”x3 Hot Rolled Steel
20” ¼”x3 Hot Rolled Steel
20’- ½”x3” Cold Rolled Steel
26’- 3x3 Angle Iron 3/16”
26’- 1x2 rectangle tubing 1/8th”
25’ - 1x1 Angle Iron 1/8th”
148'- 1/8"x2 Hot Rolled Steel
1- 48”x96” 16ga steel sheet

I know I am missing the channel for the etrack and the rack for the rack and pinion that will come later. The above parts are just to get the frame and water pan built. Any advise and recommendations so far would be greatly appreciated thanks. Hoping to place the steel order soon.

Being that I will be cutting the steel myself should all of my lengths be in multiples of 25' since a standard stick of steel is 25' I believe? This would leave me with left over steel but save me on cut fees.
yroc fab
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: 4x8 Build

Post by yroc fab »

Standard steel lengths are 20'
The cold rolled flat bar around here comes in 12' lengths which was perfect for my 5x10.

If your planning on making the pan out of the 16ga sheet listed, i would consider something heavier for long term. The cost difference is marginal and it will be the same ammount of work with either thickness. I used 10 ga on my 5x10

Here is my build on a similar table>>https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/cory-bui ... le.111146/
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

yroc fab wrote:Standard steel lengths are 20'
The cold rolled flat bar around here comes in 12' lengths which was perfect for my 5x10.

If your planning on making the pan out of the 16ga sheet listed, i would consider something heavier for long term. The cost difference is marginal and it will be the same ammount of work with either thickness. I used 10 ga on my 5x10

Here is my build on a similar table>>https://www.rme4x4.com/threads/cory-bui ... le.111146/
Thanks for your input. I'm holding off on the water pan build until I have the frame built. I'm not 100% if that is the method I want to use for it or not. I've read guys saying to make one with higher sides to help prevent splashing. So I will research that part a little more before dedicating the funds to the metal.

Just got my quote back from the steel yard.
Cold Rolled Flat Bar here comes in 12' lengths as well
Tube steel comes in 24' lengths
I was quoted $204 for the cold rolled steel and $584 for the 3x3, 1.5x2, and 1/4x3 HR so in total the frame looks like it will be $789 in steel cost.
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Definitely go with 10-11ga on the pan.

I had my local Alro Steel shear my slats in 12ga P&O. They were like $400-$450 but they also ended up doubling my order. So I've got a spare set. They are exact, too.

On my 5x10 I've got a 3" deep water pan with 2-3/4" tall slats. I wish I'd gone 4" deep for (2) reasons:

[1] Splash over the sides when I'm cutting close to the edge of the pan (I store 5-6 sheets on the lower shelf, so need to keep water off 'em). I'm going to install a splash-guard on the long sides.

[2] To be able to submerge (or partial) when I'm cutting large & long parts in 3/16 & 1/4 to keep it from warping. With the 3" angle pan frame, the 2-3/4" slats only give me like 1/16" of height difference between the pan frame and the slats. So I'd have to bring the table almost to it's peak level to get water contact on parts. No bueno. And I don't want to go any shorter on slat height.

I bought all of the "stuff" to make a water bladder, but never installed it. Pan is plumbed with two big 2" PVC drains, but the piping is plugged. Never needed to drain it in almost 1yr now. I top off the water & chems every couple weeks. And after every sheet, i try to "fish" out as many drops as I can with a 2" magnetic wand (picks up the drops and a lot of the "goose poop" pretty well).

The feet on the table...I had used heavy duty casters plus a 1/2" thick plate with a 5/8" bolt for leveling. I had the (6) bolts pointing down with the threaded end on my concrete floor. This was creating a pretty good amount of vibration that I could feel and could see in some of the cuts. I added heavy rubber pads under the "feet" and the difference was noticeable.

One more tip to keep your gantry clean...go to the auto parts store, buy a FRAM PH6607 oil filter, cut it open, and steal the orange silicone check valve out of it. They fit the Duramax torch perfectly! Put it on the torch head about where the large cap (not shield) meets the torch body. It will eliminate 99.99% of the splash-up on your Z-axis. And it's small enough to not really get caught on tip-ups.
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

Well, I have officially pulled the trigger in the build. I ordered the first round of steel to build the base with. It should be delivered in Friday and then the work will begin on that.
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

Picked up some items that should help me in the frame build of the table, some scribes for some more precise marking for better cuts and a set of 4- 8" trungles from Brandon at http://www.olli-iron.com to help keep it as square as possible. Great dude with some great pricing on his products if anyone is in the market. Every little bit helps in keeping things square.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/246XyKq]Image
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Be sure to spray the "trungles" with anti-spatter.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Linky no worky for firefox.
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

DMoneyAllstar wrote:Be sure to spray the "trungles" with anti-spatter.
Yes, definitely gotta keep them babies clean
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

SegoMan DeSigns wrote:Linky no worky for firefox.
Try using google to search for the web address or try it in internet explorer or google chrome.
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

All of the metal for the frame arrived. Time to get busy breaking it down per the cut list. I know this is a little early in the build to worry about this but I figured id ask while it is on my mind. How do you guys in colder climates keep the water in your water tables from freezing in the colder months? My shop is not heated all of the time only when im in it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/25ejzRE]Image

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”