Advice on parts for my table please.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Buckmaster1967
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Advice on parts for my table please.

Post by Buckmaster1967 »

Hello,
Building a 6'x12' cnc plasma water table. I have the table mostly built. Gantry weighs 80lbs, am using V groove bearings and rack gears. 300 gallon metal tank under table. I have built everything. Will post picture when done. Getting ready to purchase the electronics.
Looking at (Wantai 4Axis Nema34 Stepper Motor 14mm shaft 1600oz-in&CNC) on Ebay. Also looking at ( Brass Electric Solenoid Valve 2" NPT 110-Volt AC 110VAC Water Air Gas 2 inch) for the tank. Normally closed until PC tills it to open to let air escape, letting water drain from table. (U. S. Solid 3/8" Brass Electric Solenoid Valve 110V AC Normally Closed Air Water) for the PC to open to pressure the tank, flooding the table with water.
Just not sure if the break out board will have everything I need to control the two valves for the water table. Planning on building the control box from old PC.
In short, will the Nema34 Stepper Motor 14mm shaft 1600oz be good to run the gantry?
Will the Breakout Board DB25, be capable of controlling the two valves?
Thought the Nema 34 1600oz motor will be to big for the Z axis. Thought I would get a smaller Nema 24. Can I use the Stepper Motor Driver DQ860MA with a smaller Nema 24?
Would like to have limits for the axis. Advise with this breakout board, or do I need a better board? USB Board? Smooth stepper?
Any advise would be appreciated.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Advice on parts for my table please.

Post by acourtjester »

I have built 7 table and use a nema 34 for the X axis longer moving the other 2 axis assemblies.(some call it the Y) and 24 for the other 2. If you use 34s for all you are adding more weight then you need with no real gain. The Z is just moving the torch and holder up/down not a lot of weight there.
I use limit switches on the 3 axises I move the mounted switch with trips at both ends of the travel. This reduces wiring and switches they are all in a serial string using 1 BOB input, (I use the floating head switch as Z down limit and it is part of the limit string) this allows for another input for the ohmic sensor. If you don't have a DTHC yet buy CandCNC setup as it has 2 relay controlled outputs you could use for the solenoids. :D
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Buckmaster1967
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Buckmaster1967 »

Thank you. Great advice. Definitely the type of information I am looking for.
Militant83
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Militant83 »

You have any pictures of your build so far? I'm in the research phase of a build and trying to look at various builds to get some ideas.
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

I run my Y axis gantry with a NEMA 34 on each side. Around about 1000 oz/in. The X and Y use NEMA 23's around 269 oz/in and I still get over 800 in/min

All motors have seperate max and min limit switches and seperate home switches except the top of the Z which is a shared home/limit for space. The lower end of the Z is a micro switch (for space) and everything else including breakaway uses proximity switches. All switches are on seperate inputs.

As you might have guessed with that number of inputs, I'm not using a parallel port. LinuxCNC and a Mesa 7i76e ethernet card comes with 32 inputs and 16 outputs plus a whole heap of other goodies.
Buckmaster1967
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Buckmaster1967 »

Thanks guys.
So, I am looking at these 4 axis cnc kits on ebay, which include 4 stepper motors , Power supply, Driver, & break out board. But having trouble finding the combo of motors I am wanting. How hard is it to match up individual components? Like buying the Breakout Board, then the other components. I see where I can purchase the Z axis with motor attached. As you can tell, very new at this hobby.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I'm going to use the Masso controller and clearpath servos on my 6'x12' build.Picking up material for the gantry material tomorrow.
Buckmaster1967
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Buckmaster1967 »

Need help on power supply. Purchased this stepper kit ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Free-3Axis- ... 2749.l2649) and (https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-LONGS-1Axi ... 1356746699 ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) 3 axis. Also ordered the Masso controller, thanks SegoMan DeSigns. Now I need to order the power supply. need help on picking the right one.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I have several CNC machines, large and small. My large KRMx02 machine has a gantry that is over 150lbs. I use NEMA 23 motors on all axis and achieve over 1000IPM. It is all in the design of the rails and drive-train.

@SegoMAN
I did a lot of testing on the MASSO. I did not like it. Its not well suited for high speed drive systems. You can see my write-up here:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/masso-introduction/
Buckmaster1967
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Buckmaster1967 »

Great info. But, still not sure about the power supply needed for this set up.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

On mine, I use Gecko G540 drivers. Its max voltage ratting is 48V. So I use a 48V 12.5 Amp power supply. But it all depends on the motors and drivers you use.
SegoMan DeSigns

msimpson99 wrote:I have several CNC machines, large and small. My large KRMx02 machine has a gantry that is over 150lbs. I use NEMA 23 motors on all axis and achieve over 1000IPM. It is all in the design of the rails and drive-train.

@SegoMAN
I did a lot of testing on the MASSO. I did not like it. Its not well suited for high speed drive systems. You can see my write-up here:
http://www.kronosrobotics.com/masso-introduction/
Robotics Man.

I just read your updated review earlier in the testing mode you had favored it. Your machine builds push the boundaries so I listen to what you say :)
I am subscribed to Masso's channel, they appear to be attentive to customer needs and are constantly updating things. I like the no computer required as windows sucks and creates most of the troubles on the TM 2x2 that I own.

Here's my 6'x12' build (which had a limited budget - yet designed for future retrofits)
3/8" x 2-1/2" CR mounted on edge for linear rails w/oversize (32mm) roller bearings
I Will use my Hyperthem 65 or 1250 until a job dictates the need for a 105
3 tool gantry design plaz / air scribe & quick detachable air drill for the smaller holes. (approx 200 - 210 lbs total weight)
Most cutting speeds will be in the 25 -150 IPM range as I do no sheet metal work.

X - Dual side #40 roller chain drive with a rear table mtd drive line for synchronized movement. all chain drives have UHMW sliders to minimize required tension & prevent backlash. The 17T drive and idler sprocket (matched to keep chain parallel) yields a 17 X .5p = 8.5" travel / rev. This will be reduced by another 9:1 sprocket system for a finale drive of .94444 in / shaft revolution or 1.0588 motor turns / 1" gantry travel. I realize this is a bit fast but was going to drive it with a single Clearpath SDSK 1844 oz NEMA 34 servo that has a rated speed of 730 / max 840 RPM which will keep my cutting speeds in the motors mid/low range and traverse speed in 750 IPM range.

Y - Same roller chain drive specs w/ NEMA 34 (overkill I know - but allows interchangeability with X for trouble shooting)

Z - A small NEMA 23 for THC

What say you to my design and your recommendations ?
SegoMan DeSigns

Buckmaster1967 wrote:Need help on power supply. Purchased this stepper kit ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Free-3Axis- ... 2749.l2649) and (https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-LONGS-1Axi ... 1356746699 ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) 3 axis. Also ordered the Masso controller, thanks SegoMan DeSigns. Now I need to order the power supply. need help on picking the right one.
Here is some links (Not sure what you have)

https://masso.com.au/downloads/documentation.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1S9o ... w/featured

The manual says 12 - 24 volt I would choose a good regulated 20- 30 map 12 volt that way you can use 12 volt relays in conjunction with it , then you will need a kick-down to 5V+

Here is some more setup vids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKRPXe9tr_4&t=66s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwUQIsrib6g

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”