Air Compressor Silencer Box?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Air Compressor Silencer Box?

Post by Greg_R »

Hello plasma people! I just picked up a used 1987 craftsman 5hp 60 gallon air compressor. The pump runs at 1250 rpm, and it has 10.8 SCFM.

I was surprised at how LOUD it is. I am trying to set up in my brothers garage, that is connected to his office, and next door to another office. I'm sure that the noise will be a no-go for this location. I'm not sure if I can find another small garage/shop to rent for the $400 I'll get this space for. I know you can build a sound box, but what about the heat? I know air lines need cooled for the torch. They don't want me to cut any holes in the wall, but I might could run an exhaust out the garage door. The sound might pump right to the street though. I would love to have a silent compressor, but that is not possible now. Has anyone built a sound box, and had the torch working great?

Thanks!
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Air Compressor Silencer Box?

Post by see&see »

A lot of folks have gone to quiet screw compressors due to the drop in price because more of them are being manufactured. The smaller new ones cycle much like the piston compressors.
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

Yeah I saw those but I thought they were $4000. Even used at $2000 is no go for now.
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

Is putting the air compressor outside an option or does the no holes apply to a small pipe and conduit as well?
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »

No I can't put it outside
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by sphurley »

My compressor runs a lot slower than yours but most of my noise was the air intake filters.
I replaced them with ones from McMaster-Carr with silencers in them. 15dB is a lot more quiet.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#air-compresso ... s/=1bh2644
The compressor unloader valve purged straight into the air, I also put a silencer on it to eliminate to purge air noise at the end of a cycle.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/416/=1bh29gc
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
Greg_R
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Greg_R »