It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:40 am

TABLE DESIGN

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
SPEEDRACERV

TABLE DESIGN

Postby SPEEDRACERV » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 pm

I am in the process of designing then building my own plasma table I have found a design I like but I was wondering if there is any more info out there on this design? I am in the process of building this frame and need to find more details on what to do next and what is used for the moving parts, it looks like a rack n pinion from what I can see but am also open to belt or chain drive. Any ideas or suggestions?
DYI PLASMA TABLE.jpg

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

tcaudle

Re: TABLE DESIGN

Postby tcaudle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Belt drive on an 8 ft table (or larger) is not a good idea. Chain has some of the same problems. Getting the right ratios on those type drives can be a problem because the drive sprockets and belt pulleys have to be a minimum diameter and that impacts the speed and torque of your table a 2" Diameter drive pulley or sprocket moves the gantry over 6" per rev. Gives you LOTS of speed but poor resolution and much lower acceleration.

SPEEDRACERV

Postby SPEEDRACERV » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:46 pm

So a rack and pinion or gear drive is the way to go?

Militant83

Postby Militant83 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 am

You ever get anywhere on this build?

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”