Plasma -> Router Conversion - Aluminum extrusion for gantry motion

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Plasma -> Router Conversion - Aluminum extrusion for gantry motion

Post by Simko »

When I built my table, I only used a single linear rail on my gantry because that is what I had and I figured it would be good enough for plasma cutting. Turns out I was correct... my table has been running great.
gantry.jpg
But now that I am getting used to running the table, I am seeing more and more uses for the table and would really like to do some light routing. I am concerned that the single linear rail won't take even light routing forces for very long. I do have the benefit of the gear rail being 90* to the linear rail and being spring tensioned, but I still don't think the two bearings in-line is a good idea.

The 80mm x 80mm extrusion for my gantry doesn't leave much room for a second linear rail. I do have a piece of 80mm x 160mm extrusion that would give me the space for two linear rails, but I didn't originally use it because of the extra weight (23 lbs vs 43 lbs)

I recently started looking into the specialized extrusions that are available at places like Precision Plasma, but I can't find them for sale anywhere and I am not even sure they are the best option going from a linear rail to a v-rail setup. Any idea where to buy these types of extrusions? I didn't see them for sale on PP, but I have yet to reach out to them.

Click here for pic of Precision Plasma gantry extrusion

Does anyone have any opinions / ideas on the best way to convert my gantry to allow for light routing:

1) Suck it up and put on the 80mm x 160mm extrusion and hope it doesn't effect my ability to plasma cut thin material
2) Use v-rail extrusion
3) ?????

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Plasma -> Router Conversion - Aluminum extrusion for gantry motion

Post by Simko »

I found a company that makes the v rail extrusion. I emailed them for a quote.

http://www.pbclinear.com/IVTAAQ?tab=ProductOverview

IMG_0978.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good afternoon Simko. A bit late but here goes. Hiwin make a double wide rail and the bolt pattern is perfect for the 80 by 80 extrusion (that is the one with 40mm centers), which is why I have used this rail, and have milled alli on my machine and has given no trouble. I have also routed 20mm MDF, you can see the depth of cuts but cannot feel any steps, so the accuracy is good, which means the rigidity is also good. The block is a WH35c wide and the rail to suite. Bosch Rexroth make a similar version, possibly a little better but more pricy. I cannot see how there would not be suppliers there to get this stuff from.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Thanks for the reply... I will check out the Hiwin rail. I knew that there had to be other options out there, I just wasn't quite sure what terms to search for... and I am usually pretty good at searching online for stuff.

Thanks again! 8-)
Steve

steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

hsolve wrote:Good afternoon Simko. A bit late but here goes. Hiwin make a double wide rail and the bolt pattern is perfect for the 80 by 80 extrusion (that is the one with 40mm centers), which is why I have used this rail, and have milled alli on my machine and has given no trouble. I have also routed 20mm MDF, you can see the depth of cuts but cannot feel any steps, so the accuracy is good, which means the rigidity is also good. The block is a WH35c wide and the rail to suite. Bosch Rexroth make a similar version, possibly a little better but more pricy. I cannot see how there would not be suppliers there to get this stuff from.

Thanks as well, I bought most of a paint booth made By Bosch now I found another place to shop :P
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”