Another 5x10 build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
rmack898
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Another 5x10 build

Post by rmack898 »

After reading everything I thought I could find about building my 5x10 table, I ordered a Magnum 7 gantry from PPLLC and a full automation package from CandCNC. I bought a but load of steel and went to town cutting and welding. I got the frame all fabricated and started on the water table and then I found this place.
Progress came to screeching halt as I spent about a week reading all I could here. Thanks to all the folks here I made some changes to my plans that would have more than likely bit me in the butt if I had continued on the course I was heading.

I had welded in a drain trough in the table and put in 3/4" drain and fill fittings. After reading a bit here, I cut out the 3/4" fittings and welded in two 1-1/2" fittings and am now figuring out an air bladder.

Most to the build threads I have read about the PPLLLC table seem to have the same post build complaint, the 3" sides are too shallow and allow too much splashing. I used 12"x1/8" flat stock and bent up 6x6 angle for the water table sides. I left the end of the table at 3" that will have a 3" slide on addition to allow for loading sheet on the table.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

woodworker2001
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Another 5x10 build

Post by woodworker2001 »

Looking good man. The air bladder is the way to go. We bought a table at the school I work at, but I would love to build one and start a business myself, but I dont have a place for a table at my current residence. The air bladder is awesome. If you want to cut aluminum, just drain. clean up the metal and fill back up. Plus when you cut those small parts and they fall in the water. It takes about 60 seconds to drain and about the same to fill back up. Keeps your hands out of the nastiness and makes finding parts easier. Be curious to see how much $ you have in your table and look forward to seeing the finished product.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

Glad you found your way over here from SFT, lots of good file sharing and ideas here!
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
rmack898
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rmack898 »

WW2001,
when i'm up and running I'll post a full accounting of what it cost me to build.

Scratch,
Finding my way over here put the brakes on everything I had planned. It took me a week of reading to realize that there was a better way to build a mouse trap. I'm still not sure if I have everything figured out yet but I've got to move forward to find out what I did wrong. I'll be sure to post lessons learned.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Many here have built DIY tables questions answered free :D :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Euclid933
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Euclid933 »

Wow, good job. I would like to build a new 5x10 myself one day. Mine must be about 25-30 years old and still going strong.
Looking forward to see some finished photos of your build.

Regards,
Will
rmack898
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rmack898 »

Well between working crazy overtime at the day job, preparing for the holidays, and fighting the seasonal flu, progress has been painstakingly slow.

I managed to get the water table off the frame and get the frame painted. Then I got the gantry installed on the frame.

I had originally planned on using two 55-gallon plastic drums for a water bladder and then I realized that once I welded the water table to the frame, if there was ever a problem with the drums I would have to cut them out as there is not enough room to get them out in one piece.

So on to plan B. I decided to make an aluminum tank for a water bladder. A 4'x4'x10" tank should hold all the water I need for the table. I started out with making bungs for the fill and drain lines. I had a 2-1/2" piece of aluminum round stock and sliced of three pieces 3/4" thick. Then I chucked them up in the lathe and drilled them with an 1-3/8" drill. I then bored them to 1.5" and tapped them with a 1-1/4" pipe tap. I would have preferred to go with 1-1/2" fittings but I have a bunch of 1-1/4" ball valves so I went with 1-1/4"NPT.

Once I had the bungs made, I drilled the bottom sheet of the tank and welded them in. Then I tacked the sides of the tank to the bottom. I them made 4 baffles and welded them into the tank. The tank is all tack welded together from the inside. All I have left to do is slot the top so the I can plug weld it to the baffles and then weld up all the outside seams. With any luck I'll get the tank finished up tomorrow.

rons
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rons »

Love that blue, mine was the first Magnum bridge for PPL, I built an air chamber in the water table for the bladder the water does not move through any piping so it is fast 15 sec. to fill or empty, notice the tool path on a separate monitor thanks to my son.
Honeyview_2017-12-28 15.30.33.jpg

4x8 Home made with PPL Gantry
Bladder water table
Candcnc EtherCut + DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM 65 machine
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel DrawX7
TurboCad 2015
211 Miller Mig
Ingersoll Rand 7.5 hp 80 gal
Harbor Ref. Dryer
Lathe, BP, 1" x 12" Cosan Miter Saw,
rmack898
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by rmack898 »

That's a nice looking computer rig you have there Ron. I need to do something soon about a computer workstation and I had thought that a HF tool cart might be the way to go but I know that if I do that it will probably never get changed once I'm up and running. So I have some ideas for a nice workstation, I just need to get some time to bring it to fruition.
So today wasn't as productive as I had planned. I drilled the tank top in 16 places and then plug welded the top to the baffles. That left me with just about 35' of lineal TIG welding the seams.

Just I would get in the groove, the phone would ring or someone would stop by for a visit. I got the tank about half welded and called it quits for the day.

I leave for a week of vacation tomorrow so no progress for the next week.

acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Here is the computer set up I use, All electronics in one roll around cabinet. I move all the PC guts into the cabinet and can close it up when not in use. :)
DSCN2032.JPG
DSCN2033.JPG
DSCN2034.JPG

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
jasonwhite11
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jasonwhite11 »

Hello I am just very impressed with your build. I am interested building my own as well. IF you did it again would you buy a kit ready to go or build it yourself? And are you selling or posting your design and plans anywhere if you are sharing or selling?

Thanks

Jason

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”