First cuts!!!!

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

First cuts!!!!

Post by Simko »

Finally got to the point of making some cuts with my table. I put 45A consumables in the PM85 and just went for it on some 12ga.

First straight line was just me staring at the torch in amazement that it was actually cutting. :lol:

The second line I made a note of the torch volts as it was cutting with the DHTC completely off.

The third line was with the DTHC in manual and I turned it on with the button after the cut started.

The fourth line was full auto DTHC and I watched the up/down leds keep the torch the right height to keep the volts at 133v.

The ninja star is 4"x4". It turned out pretty good for my first closed shape cut.

Ok... now what should I cut?
IMG_4288.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Simko on Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: First cuts!!!!

Post by Simko »

You might also notice the second line is a little wider than the others up to about halfway.... Yeah, I forgot to move the torch and rezero the x and ended up cut over the exiting line.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

In a short time you will have the finer details worked out, then you can crank out some neat things. I bet you have a bunch of files your waiting to start cutting. Remember there is that "CNC Plasma Cutter Project Picture Gallery" where you can post things you cut. :)
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Congratz!! It's been fun to watch you pull this together. I really like your mag-detach torch holder. Apologies if you already told me, but could you share details and where you got it?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

Capstone wrote:Congratz!! It's been fun to watch you pull this together. I really like your mag-detach torch holder. Apologies if you already told me, but could you share details and where you got it?
It's actually not a magnetic mount. It is a spring tensioned mount that has a normally closed limit switch inside. If the torch is moved the slightest bit off of its mount, it triggers the E-stop. It is tensioned enough to allow a floating head to work, but to quickly trip if the torch keeps going.

It also has detent stops to cut bevels at 15, 30, and 45 degrees.

I really like it so far. I worry less about breaking an expensive torch. The only negative to it not being breakaway is that I can't just pull the torch off to do a consumable change. I need to do it in the mount.

http://plasmatorchprotectionsystem.com/ ... on-system/
Steve

Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I remember that feeling you get when the first cut actually works and it surprises ya
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Congrats,
Looking good. I am at about the same place as you are. I built a new smaller table and am also running CommandCNC on mine as well. On my machine I am only running a Hypertherm 45 at this time. Hows it going for you as far as dialing in you DHTCIV? I've still got a ways to go but am learning things everyday about setting it up and its getting better with every tweek. 8-)
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

edclayton1 wrote:Hows it going for you as far as dialing in you DHTCIV? I've still got a ways to go but am learning things everyday about setting it up and its getting better with every tweek. 8-)
The DTHCIV tuning went great after reading the manual multiple times. The information is all there, but it can get a little confusing because the manual still has references to Mach and DTHCII. But, I must have done something right because it seemed to work exactly like the manual said it would on my first tries!

The trickiest part for me was figuring out how to set up the feathertouch to be the primary touchoff method and the floating head switch to be back-up method. Again, the info is all there, but scattered throughout three documents.

My cuts are pretty good... I need to take some pics of parts to post up to see if the amount of dross is acceptable or if I should be tweaking more.
Steve

Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

The cutting on my table has so far gone off without any issues. I just used the latest ToolSets for SheetCAM, generate the g-code, load into CommandCNC and hit 'print'... LOL.

I was mentally prepared for hours of tweaking to get rid of divots or dealing with wavy cuts when it changed direction. I still may not be out of the woods yet, as I have only run the table to a top speed of 190 IPM.

After a few hours of cutting, I started to dig deeper into SheetCAM and realized that I didn't have the velocity anti-dive rule turned on or the rule to turn off the torch before the end of the cut. So why am I getting decent cuts? Are these actions created when the g-code is made or are they done completely in CommandCNC?

Finally.. what kind of dimensional accuracy is acceptable? I cut some 2" squares and they are all around 2.025". I realize that is under 1/32" and would not be noticeable for artwork, but it seems like it could come into play when making something like a 3D puzzle with slots that have to fit together.

Thanks!
Steve

edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by edclayton1 »

Simko wrote:
edclayton1 wrote:Hows it going for you as far as dialing in you DHTCIV? I've still got a ways to go but am learning things everyday about setting it up and its getting better with every tweek. 8-)
The DTHCIV tuning went great after reading the manual multiple times. The information is all there, but it can get a little confusing because the manual still has references to Mach and DTHCII. But, I must have done something right because it seemed to work exactly like the manual said it would on my first tries!

The trickiest part for me was figuring out how to set up the feathertouch to be the primary touchoff method and the floating head switch to be back-up method. Again, the info is all there, but scattered throughout three documents.

My cuts are pretty good... I need to take some pics of parts to post up to see if the amount of dross is acceptable or if I should be tweaking more.

Yeah I am still not sure my floating head switch is acting as a back up or not but the feather touch hasn't let me down yet so it has not been an issue so far.
I moved the green wire over to a different place on the table I/O board as described in one place in the manuals. I also changed a setting in the configurator to something different than Luke stated in one of the config videos. But it seems happier for some reason. I agree about the manuals, its all pretty much there somewhere. I have read them over and over two and still learning from them and the videos CandCNC made.
Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”