Best Slat shape - pros and cons

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Best Slat shape - pros and cons

Post by AndrewMawson »

So what's the best shape for table slats?

When I rebuilt my table I made the slats slightly curved - they had been straight, but they are conventional rather than the 'pointed spikey' ones I see in some designs.

So what do you think is the best slat shape ?

I ask as yesterday I was cutting some 6 mm plate, and one of the curves almost exactly corresponded to the curve of the slats for about 10 inches so the plasma wasn't emerging below the plate and sparks were going everywhere :( It occurred to me at the time that if I'd had the pointy shape this wouldn't have mattered so much.

I'm going to have to sort out a few trashed slats soon so an opportunity is coming up to change, but I'd welcome your views. :)
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Best Slat shape - pros and cons

Post by acourtjester »

I think some posted a DXF file to cut the pointy ones some time back. I just use flat one that have a curve to them, you may have hit the one in a thousand that matched your slat :lol:
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Just flat ones. I keep extras sheared under the table and replace as necessary. Just replaced all my slats after 2-1/2 years of cutting. They were flipped over once also.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by AndrewMawson »

Yes I have a full set of plain ones 'ready' leaning against the wall for when needed.

I'm slightly surprised that no one has yet chirped up in favour of the pointy ones - I would welcome comments from anyone using them.
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Pointed slats are good only if all of the parts you are cutting are large enough so that they will not tip up and become a collision hazard. In 95% of the cases, flat slats ate better. Since a lot of parts you cut are rectangular...then it makes sense to install your slats in a diagonal of a serpentine pattern. Serpentine is usually best because it minimizes the chance of the slats wobbling / vibrating which will show as extreme roughness on your cut parts.

Industrial plasma cutting CAM software made by Hypertherm (ProNest 2017) has collision avoidance features that ensure that pierce points are placed and traversing is done in a manner that the torch never drives over an already cut part that may be tipped up. The software also lifts the torch higher between cuts if there is danger of collisions, but keeps the torch close to the material when short traverses are done....this to cut cycle times. This software is used on Industrial cnc Plasma, laser and waterjets....has a lot of features including the ability to link to the companies ERP/ MRP material inventory system. There are versions of ProNest that have features and pricing for smaller cutting operations as well.

Jim Colt
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

It takes time to cut the pointy ones with the flat you just cut to length, just stack the flats and cut 5 at a time :lol: :lol:
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

We run semi pointed slats on all of our plasma and oxy-fuel tables, I can understand the ease and benefits of plain slats,
However we most always cut full sheets and I like the idea that there is less surface area touching the bottom of the sheets being cut, makes for less chance of spikes in arc voltage when crossing over a slat with plasma. It still happens just not as often.
As for manufacture of the slats , we simply run then through our square headed notcher set for the depth of the valley we want.
Takes about 30 minutes to punch out a set for a 10 foot table.
One of our employees has a 4x8 table at his home shop he just free hand cut his with some kind of a jig.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I just use flat ones, sheer them to size....I dont bother cutting them with the plasma. I purchase a couple sheets and have my supplier shear them on their shear (cuz I don't have one big enough....yet.) :) Takes them just a couple minutes to do and they are nice and flat. Just pick them up and install. Put the rest on the side for change outs when needed. I have them made a little oversized so they have to bend to be installed, this helps minimize slat wave (slats moving when the gantry moves causing wiggle cuts in your part) which can be a nightmare.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

4x4 feet working area with water tub. 16ga steel slats.

Mine are all sheared flat slats that are set in a curve to give additional stability. Cheap and easy to make and can be flipped to use other edge.

Slats can be set on a 2" spacing or install every other slat for a 4" spacing. Simple and functional.
Crabbys Custom
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Crabbys Custom »

AndrewMawson wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:51 am Yes I have a full set of plain ones 'ready' leaning against the wall for when needed.

I'm slightly surprised that no one has yet chirped up in favour of the pointy ones - I would welcome comments from anyone using them.
New Here... I've Spent a lot of time in the shop with CNC Tables. I Really like the pointed cross grid slats.
Not very easy at all to line up the sheet when loading, and real crappy to remove the Skeleton after.
Point I'm Getting at is to me its all about the parts your cutting and the quality of them. Who wants to cut parts twice or
multiple replacements from lifting, dropping parts... Head crashes ETC....

I would love to see your dxf designs for your slats... I'm wanting to do an interlocking setup.
Cheers Dale
East German
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by East German »

Hello

This is my version, the water is 200 mm below the top edge.

Suction is carried out on the sides above the water.

There is a welded version and a bent version, there is always something for scrap.

Peter

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable
MyPlasmCNC
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Peter interesting concept, I can see for larger and thicker metal parts that would be very useful and the clean up easier. Thanks for sharing, I have seen pointy slates before but yours seem to be a better method. It looks like the cross bracing is below the water level and that causes the slag to cool before landing on them and does not stick as bad. :Like :Like :Yay
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”