Floating Z axis - How much down pressure ?

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
AndrewMawson
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Floating Z axis - How much down pressure ?

Post by AndrewMawson »

I'm using a cnc plasma table that I bought from a chap who built it himself. It has a floating head, where the 'floaty bit' runs on a short single length of HiWin rail. I'm reviewing the design as there's a bit of wobble in it - I may reconstruct it with two bits of rail.

But doing this I thought I'd measure the down force exerted by the floating head and was surprised that it's as much as 1.5 kg. This struck me as quite a lot but I have no experience to compare it to. There is a balancing spring, and it would be fairly easy to re-jig it to adjust the force so I'd much appreciate it if any readers know what sort of pressure their set up exerts could let me know.
4x4 DIY Plasma Table
Hypertherm PM45
Purelogic THC
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Floating Z axis - How much down pressure ?

Post by chasxjs »

I have never measured mine. But, I would guess it's not more than 2-3 ounces.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Andrew

I don't think there is any precise answer to your question regarding your set up :?

But I would recommend just enough to lighten the load but not to much that it makes the movement sluggish or bouncy and not repeatable, you need to factor in your feed rates and acceleration when doing the final tuning of the spring assist :?:

If you are going to cutting thinner materials, the less force to raise the z during touch off the better but again not at the cost of repeat-ability or the creation of bounce ;)
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
Rodw
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Rodw »

Before you worry too much, check the mounting bolts that hold the linear rail on are tight. There should not be any play in a Hiwin rail. Your 1.5 kg is about right. I tested my gravity floating rail setup when I first made it and it needed over 1 kg to overcome the static forces.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”