Scribe in place of machine torch

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
allan101
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Scribe in place of machine torch

Post by allan101 »

Hi Folks,
Question, If I put my CP engraving pen in a mount in place of the plasma torch, and then put a post processor with scribing option would I be able to make it follow a scribe dxf ? Would it work? I would of course have air to the pen for it to run.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scribe in place of machine torch

Post by motoguy »

Yes, that should work. What table/controller are you using? I have a scribe on my table, in conjunction with the torch. I'm using Mach3, so instead of the Plasma post processor (CandCNC 11J), I just use the generic "Mach 3" post processor for my scribe work. Now that I think about it, my 11J post should have scribe capabilities...I just never tried it.

Is your Z a floating Z? If not, you may have issues with the metal warp. Do you have a magnetic holder, so that it'll knock the mount loose, vs damaging your scribe, should there be problems?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
allan101
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by allan101 »

I have a fastcut table and a fastcut controller . Yes I have a magnet holder. No floating head ,use omhmic, Guess I will try it with nothing in the torch holder, and see if it follows the drawing
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

The 11J has a "plate Marker " option . It allows you to mount a plate marker/scribe on the Z (off the floating head ) and to call either tool in a job without having to swap anything in or out. If you define a Plate Marker tool it will automatically switch to using M7 and M9 (aux outputs) and apply any offsets in XY and Z if needed. The POST also uses the touch off for the torch to establish the height so it first does a torch touch off then applies offsets and starts the plate marker. You process it as a contour just like a plasma cut (but with no tool offset) and put it on another layer with the appropriate feedrate . It also allows you to use your plate marker as a "Center Punch" and it finds and marks the centers of holes.
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ggeh »

What is an 11J? I put together a air scribe for my table. I m having trouble getting the Z height right got the x and y offsets done but have some trouble getting z offset perfect. X and y seems good but z is either to low or high. Maybe I'm not doing it right to get the correct measurement. I drop the torch down and make contact with the plate and zero z in mach. Raise the torch engage the air slide scribe and then lower the z travel till the scribe contacts the plate. Take that measurement change it to mm and enter that number in the post processor. Am I doing that correctly?

I have a 4x4 bulltear table, using sheetcam, and mach3 . the control box is a candcnc espII-A. I have a floating head with a magnetic mount for the torch and a the scribe is on a air slide that is on a rigid mount on the Z plate. I'm not sure if I built it right cant seem to find a lot of pictures or descriptions on this.

Thanks gary

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”