Newbie starting out, got some questions.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
jellypowered
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Newbie starting out, got some questions.

Post by jellypowered »

Have a friend with a metal shop, he has a cnc plasma table... Got to play with it when I was over there helping him out. Made some brackets for a lift i'm building and got the bug.

My question is,

If i start with a smaller table (4x4) can the r&p and linear rails (say SBR25) be added onto? will there be any problems just adding additional pieces to extend the travel?

Or,

Say shipping on 5ft pieces of R&p and SBR25 is cheaper than long pieces, can i cobble them together to get one long piece?

Thanks! I'm sure i'll have more questions later! Trying to search all i can first.

Charles
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Newbie starting out, got some questions.

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

Gear track can be linked, no problemo.

I would not "link" pieces of SBR25 together unless it was the only feasible option available. You would have to assume the used rails are "wear free" and are the same exact dimension as the brand new add-on rails (not likely). You'd have to assume you could align the linked rails with more precision than you want out of your gantry. In a rigid setup like this, any little hiccup will get transferred to your torch. Would be worth time, money and headache to just get longer rails. Cutting corners generally has the same outcome.
jellypowered
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jellypowered »

Good to know about the gear track. I think what i'll do is build a 5x4, and later when I want to upgrade order 10ft SBR25's and extend my table. going 5 means I won't have to worry about making it any wider, so the only thing I have to do is extend the length. I plan on having a router I can drop in as I'm wanting to make my own custom cabinets after I get my house built (pouring footing this week)
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

Might want to sit down and think about some things. Using a small router on a table designed for plasma (especailly with steppers) is quite doable. Cutting out big sheets with a big router is something completely different. Building cabinets with a CNC router sounds neat but in practice a craftsman with a good table saw , the right blades and a good router table and bits for face framing and building raised panel inserts will be faster and cheaper.

To do heavy millwork you need a big heavy gantry (mass is important) with big motors and a commercial Spindle. More of a dump truck. For a plasma you need a high speed low mass (with good acceleration) setup. More of a Sports Car.

So if you want to cut fancy carvings in your cabinet doors and frames, the plasma/router table is a candidate. If you want to bust down 4 X 8 sheets of MDF or plywood and make the custom shells and run the dadoes you need a much more robust gantry.

Its not a good idea to try and splice precision linear bearings.

Build a 4 X 4 or 5 X 5 plasma table and see how often you would need to have a bigger table. You may be surprised. Get a router mount and do some light routing taking lighter cuts . See how you do with each setup. Also note that sawdust and sparks and flame do not play well together.
hsolve
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by hsolve »

Good morning jellypowered.
I have built what you are asking, but as Tom has mentioned the difference between a plasma and router table and the requirements of each. I constructed my table using the servo package and the largest one available, that way I was not short of speed and or torque. I have routed in MDF 6mm cut at 180"/min without any hesitation using a 3hp spindle. There is also the feed rate too slow and the tool rubbs gets hot and dosen't cut. The faster the travel speed the heat goes into the chip. The job got completed at 180"/min, havent done one since.
jellypowered
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jellypowered »

Guys,

Thank you so much for your input.
I don't think i'll be going for a "combo" plasma table. Heavy gantry would only be good for cutting plate, not sheet metal as i've read.

I think a 5x5 is gonna do everything I need and I can always build supports for the rest of the sheet if I find myself cutting full sheets.
Also, with the electronics required, I need to focus on one process and not worry about the other. I have the woodworking tools to build the cabinets by hand, less is more sometimes.

Looks like my investor is dragin his feet, so I'll probably have to piece this together one check at a time. On top of my 1000 other irons in the fire.
Next week I pour concrete in the footing I dug last week, then it's time to order block. Not to mention vehicle projects. There's never enough hours in the day!

Charles
DMoneyAllstar
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by DMoneyAllstar »

No worries. It took me almost 3 yrs of prep and hoarding before I finally started my plasma table build.

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”