METAL FOR WATER TABLE/PAN CONSTRUCTION

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

METAL FOR WATER TABLE/PAN CONSTRUCTION

Post by enzed »

As a beginner plasma cutter, I will appreciate it if somebody can tell me why stainless steel or aluminum is not used to construct a water table or pan, as well as the stats inside it. Is the higher cost of these materials the only reason, or are there other, technical reasons as well?

If nothing else, I would think that making these items from non-corrosive metals would eliminate the need to use water-soluble oil or other substances to prevent corrosion.

enzed.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: METAL FOR WATER TABLE/PAN CONSTRUCTION

Post by Capstone »

expense and strength versus fighting corrosion. Most find their experience is that former two (stainless/Alum) simply don't outweigh the latter (HRS)
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
chevybythesea
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chevybythesea »

My custom made water table (I own a steel yard, so materials are more available than to others), is steel - painted. The corrosion I am more concerned with is the materials I am cutting, getting more of a flash-rust. This is why I use chemicals to prevent rusting - not so my table won't rust.
5x10 ArcLight Dynamics Plasma table
http://www.thesteelyardinc.net
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

For slats that would be a total waste of money, steel is much cheaper and you are going to eventually destroy them and have to replace them so make them as cheap as possible. For the table you can use whatever you wish. If stainless or aluminum is available to you, it would be perfectly fine and you would reduce the need for rust inhibitors or additives, except for what was mentioned above.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I built my table before I knew what I was doing! My water tub is made of 2 x 6 aluminum tubing 5 feet on a side, the bottom is sheet aluminum the rails and gantry are all aluminum. I built a submerged slat system of 1 by 1/4 aluminum on 4 inch centers. My sacrificial slats are steel banding that I made into hoops. of various diameters. The hoops are I think 1.5 inch tall. The hoops are cheap, when I started I salvaged the banding from the local lumber yard. I bought an entire roll and it will last me a long time.

My steel hoops get rusty and chopped up, the aluminum never gets touched by the flame. Aside from being dirty the aluminum has no corrosion, I have nothing but tap water in the tub. I should maybe put a chunk of zinc in there for protection.
When winter comes I am going to rebuild the drive system, my gantry whips at the far end on fast cuts and the rack and pinion seems rough.

My camera was swiped or I would post pictures.

This forum and the people here are awesome, the combined knowledge is incredible!
thank you.
home built 4x4 watertable. Qcad, SheetCam and Linuxcnc
Miller 375 Cutmate
Lincoln buzz box and a Miller Mig
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter
The adventure started with a Cricut cutter that I hacked.
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

I spent the money on stainless for water table. No regrets. I agree with the above about the slats, no real benefit to make them out of stainless.
enzed
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by enzed »

Hello to everyone who replied to my query,

Thank you very much guys for all your comments and advice. It all makes a lot of sense. And as "sawdust1" above says, the combined knowledge available in this forum indeed is incredible!

Best wishes to you all,
enzed

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”