Looking for a good set of plans.

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
tjenus
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Looking for a good set of plans.

Post by tjenus »

Looking to purchase a good set of plans to build a 4x8 or 5x10 table, even a parts list for the gantry and cables. there is just a lot of choices out there so looking for some advice on whose Kit you all would recommend? I have the machinery to cut and build a lot of the parts, So who has a good set of plans and Parts list out there for Sale? thanks KH
5x10 Flow Waterjet
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Looking for a good set of plans.

Post by acourtjester »

Ebay 300 sets sold check feedbacks

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tjenus

Post by tjenus »

Thanks, For the price I don't think I could go wrong with them, I have a waterjet, so cutting out the parts should be no problem, , Do you think this could be scaled up to 5x10? Thanks KH
5x10 Flow Waterjet
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

not a problem
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

i would steer clear of any machine that has hardened steel bearings running on mild steel tubing or angle
it's fine until the 10th part and the surface wears in, then you have to adjust the rollers in
your good for 10 more parts before you need to adjust rollers again

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

_Ogre wrote:i would steer clear of any machine that has hardened steel bearings running on mild steel tubing or angle
it's fine until the 10th part and the surface wears in, then you have to adjust the rollers in

I agree with this, in theory. For my money, that's why I went with a Bulltear table, with linear rails. I think hardened, ground precision rails are certainly a better long-term investment. I would encourage anyone purchasing a table to go this route.

That being said... there are an awful lot of productive, profitable guys running on bearing and steel surface tables. Plasmacam, LDR, tons and tons of homebuilt (including acourtjester) machines all cutting and making money. I may have a mechanically superior table (in my opinion), but the output from these other guys blow me away. Seeing some of the productivity, the creativity, and the output of these other tables, definitely leaves me envious. I feel that is largely an issue of experience, but never the less, it's proof that it is more the operator and the owner, then it is the equipment.

As I become more proficient with my equipment, and I'm able to experiment more, I hope to use things like routers, and engravers, drag knives, possibly even a laser on my table. I feel that those devices will benefit from the mechanical construction of my table.

In the meantime, I'm starting to come to the conclusion that the air plasma process itself is sufficiently "messy" that "lesser" construction methods don't really hinder it. We're talking...what...0.020-0.030 on air plasma? Something like 0.010 for HD plasma?

I would certainly suggest to anyone looking to buy or build, that they go with hardened linear ways if they can afford it and build it accurately ( no reason to go with linear ways if you are unable to build a accurately enough to reap the benefits). However, ultimately, I think it's more important that they just get a table up and start cutting.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

That is my second table, and I am still using it, I now have build 6, my first was sold to a Fab shop 4 years ago and he is still cranking out work with it. No reports of bearing or surface failure. The sliders on those table used 10 ball bearing per unit. I find it interesting the concern about ware when you look at the operation of a plasma CNC table it has low impact on the bearings and surface. If the rails are kept clean of abrasive dust there is very little wear I use double sealed bearing and my table keeps on rolling. Its been about 2 years since I did any adjusting on the bearing sorry boys I will stay with my table design. :lol:
Cutting metal and having fun :D :D :D
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I made a few improvements on table #2 and here it is with #6 with those improvements.
2 tables 4x4 and new 4x8.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by acourtjester on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

Reminds me a bit about Plasma cutters,, As we all know only one brand works, and all other designs, manufacturers have nothing to offer over the one leading brand. There is no reason to even build them ,because one way is always the very best for every single person out there. Of course I believe that it's a big world, and many way to skin a cat..I happen to like how Tom thinks out of box,because it leads to new ideas on a old theme.. His cuts looks as good as any others here on their shop build fancy table..:) Kind of the bottom line kind of thing..
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Thanks for the support I thought I may look like old snoopy :lol:
snoopy.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Greolt
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Greolt »

_Ogre wrote:i would steer clear of any machine that has hardened steel bearings running on mild steel tubing or angle
I have no doubt there are some poorly constructed tables around and maybe that is what you are referring to.

But my experience and the experience of many others is this is a load of hogwash.

I have cut many hundreds of parts with a machine I built with hardened bearings running on mild steel rails and have yet to adjust those bearings. Still as tight as day one.

Are proper linear rails better? Of course they are. I have built several routers, engravers and laser cutters using them.

But I will keep using my cheap CNC plasma table and look forward to the day I need to adjust the bearings. It will come eventually. But I wont be holding my breath. :D
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I have built several CNC machines that use mild steel rails and roller bearings. One of these machines has thousands of hours on it and the wear is negligible. These machines are CNC routers that put much more load than a plasma cutter would on the bearings. There is nothing to back up the statement that after cutting 10 parts its going to wear the bearings. No way, no how.

Im not saying that linear rails arn't better, they are. They are machined and provide a smoother transition. Back in the day I worked on some very large industrial CNC machines. Most used very large roller bearings running on steel beams.
ned_
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by ned_ »

Guys hello there, my neme is ned and im from Ireland. My new years resolution is to build a plasma table, 8x4 or 5x10. So to that end Im trying to read and learn all i can.

acourtjester, can i ask you please, I typed that auction ID into ebay but got no results, have you a link to your plans for sale please?

Also, is the a section on this forum for build logs?

cheers all.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Welcome on board Ned Here you go this is the section for building and other info
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272525428249?ss ... 1558.l2649
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
mikeysp
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by mikeysp »

I can see why one would think hardened and non-hardened would be a problem, but in practice this theory is false. Mechmate CNC Router tables have been running for a decade with hardened v-bearings on angle iron, and that is a very heavy gantry, and they work like a charm all day every day.
jellypowered
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jellypowered »

First post, Thought instead of making a new thread i'd join in here. :)

Acourtjester,
Could you post up another set of plans so i can buy them too?

Thanks!
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I see you found them thanks :)
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe