Cutting some steel today

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cutting some steel today

Post by Thor »

Finally got some production work going on full 5x10 sheets. This one is 14ga, running the PM85 at 45 amps with finecut and 210 ipm feed. Worked great right up till the last line to cut a small remnant out and the dthc dived into metal faulting it out, then had to rehome the gantry and the Table I/O board decided to quit working for one of the home switches. Talked to Luke and got a new I/O board coming Monday and then will send the old one in for repair and keep for a spare. Not sure if its a common thing or if something else caused it, sounds like the led on the board between the pins died.

Why does everything break on a Friday afternoon with deadlines?...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C73lSulZoO8
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Cutting some steel today

Post by Capstone »

Just be grateful your table can even run at 210ipm. I can't run above 120 without sawtooth/shudder cuts. Nice looking table. BTW, Whatcha making there? Looks pretty complex. Are you just cutting or fabbing everything too.

EDIT: just put 2 and 2 together... those are your rotary cnc boxes right?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thor »

Nope, I dont make rotary boxes. These are actually for a new back yard grill a guy is coming out with that burns about any biomass, kinda neat. I'll be bending these up, a little welding here and there, drop off to get painted and then back to my shop for assembly. The inventor thinks it will be huge, even at very moderate numbers should be some good money, but quite a bit of work as well.

I was cutting 16 ga yesterday at 250 ipm :D I do have a small sawtooth in corners, but I think I need to tighten the pinions and racks up a bit on the Y axis and that should be fixed. Rapids are 1200. Not sure how fast it will cut yet, but I think I do have some 18ga coming up that should test it around 300ipm.
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

Good to see things are working well for you! Other then the bad board
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber