Kentucky 4 x 4 build

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Kentucky 4 x 4 build

Post by leggman »

I started another topic because I have moved way past the motor size question and am now yet again venturing into an area which I know very little
(if anything) about.
I have all the wires hooked up and am at the point in my build where I need to try to get the motors to actually turn.
The area of concern is the switches on the drivers and the setup in mach 3.
I know I have to do something with the switches shown below but I don't know what they are for or how to configure them?
I know the wiring in the pic is wrong but that has been fixed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Dave

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Kentucky 4 x 4 build

Post by Simko »

*** Verify the information below, I used the EBAY link from your motor sizing post to find the drivers and motors that I 'think' you are using since you did not provide much info.

This should be the info for the smaller driver - DM542A

http://www.longs-motor.com/productinfo/ ... 0_131.aspx

This should be the info for the larger driver - DM860A

http://www.longs-motor.com/productinfo/ ... 0_137.aspx

Scroll down to section 3. Function choice

Microstepping Mode - 2000 steps per rev (steppers are 200 steps per rev, so this would be 10x microstepping)

DM542A
Switch 5 - Off
Switch 6 - On
Switch 7 - On
Switch 8 - Off

DM860A
Switch 5 - Off
Switch 6 - On
Switch 7 - On
Switch 8 - Off

Standstill current
Switch 4 - You decide, I don't think either setting will hurt it, I would probably select OFF to minimize heat build up in the motor while it is stationary and locked up.

Peak current

For smaller motors with 4.2A peak using DM542A
Switch 1 - Off
Switch 2 - Off
Switch 3 - Off

For larger motors with 7.8A peak using DM860A
Switch 1 - Off
Switch 2 - Off
Switch 3 - Off
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

Steve, You are correct on the drivers, I should have provided that information. Thank you very much for the info.
I watched a youtube video this morning that help me set up the ports and pins in mach3. Tomorrow is test day. If it all works there will be a short video made showing the motors turning. Thanks again. Dave
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

Not a happy camper, I got everything hooked up as it should be but the motors do not turn, Either running a g code or in jog mode. Dip switches are all off except for numbers 6,7. Ports and pins in mach3 are set according to the documentation I got from the breakout board manufacturer. AARGH.
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

leggman wrote:Not a happy camper, I got everything hooked up as it should be but the motors do not turn, Either running a g code or in jog mode. Dip switches are all off except for numbers 6,7. Ports and pins in mach3 are set according to the documentation I got from the breakout board manufacturer. AARGH.
Did you click off the software E-stop in Mach? Click the big red RESET button in the lower left corner.

Also, do you have power going to the breakout board either through USB or a separate 5V power supply. Is the switch on the BOB set to either USB or DC5V depending on how you are powering it.

Does the breakout board need to have a jumper on the e-stop terminals?

Do the motors 'lock up' when you put power to them? You should not be able to turn them by hand when they are ready to run.
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

Just want to tell everybody that it is working fine now. I had my settings in mach3 screwed up. I had the maxcl box clicked on. Once I turned it off and enabled the drives and the step lo active and it all works as it should.
It feels awesome to have it do right.
Thanks to all. Dave
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

been very busy and have neglected to post pics so I have one or two of where I am now. Table is built minus the water pan and just have to finish up a few odds and ends like the torch mount, and a couple of limit switches,etc.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

One more question should the limit switch on the z axis down be a stand alone switch? It will be the switch that tells the machine the tip is on the plate. ?
All my other limit switches are hooked up in series

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”