Nooby needs some hep

Share and learn with other DIY members who have built their own plasma tables and accessories.
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Nooby needs some hep

Post by leggman »

About a year ago I built a 4 x 4 plasma table and almost got it running but It had some issues so it sat collecting dust while I pursued other intertests .
Today I dusted it off and tried to get it running but it still has some issues.
What I have is a homemade table, mach 3 software, Chinese cut 60 plasma cutter.
What happens when I try to run the roadrunner program is sometimes the torch ignites and sometimes it doesn't. I double checked the ground and its good.
The mouse will die as soon as I start the program so I have to unplug it and plug it back in. If I let the program run until I run out of lines then I have to completely shut off the computer and reboot the software.
I know I need a thc and probably a hyperthetrm but I am trying to get by with what I have for now.
I have put magnetic shields on all the wires except the mouse and I will do that tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas then please chime I. And Thanks.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Nooby needs some hep

Post by WyoGreen »

I think your problem is your torch. I found this with a little searching:

"Update: I just looked the system up. It is a high frequency start torch. The consumables look identical to Hypertherms original hand torch...the Max40, that was introduced in 1986!. I think if I was going to copy someones technology I may look at a newer design! That torch cut well to about 1/4"...but has very short consumable life by todays standards. It is high frequency start....so be careful when using it around sensitive electronics...as it can produce electrical noise...similar to a TIG with AC for starting."

Sounds like you are getting noise into your computer.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

ahhh...the Roadrunner is a router file not plasma and just generic g-code. You cannot use it for testing Plasma. You need so CAM software and a POST for a MACH plasma that should fire the torch correctly. IF you do not have any method of touch off (i.e. a Z with a floating torch holder ) then you cannot use any of the MACH posts for THC .

It true that HF start plasmas are a challenge you first need to get a true plasma cutting file that fires the torch at the right time and proceed from there
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

I could not agree more but being new to this I am struggling to understand exactly what I need. Thanks
leggman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by leggman »

A couple of months ago I purchased the Hypertherm XP45 cutter for my homemade table and I have yet to hook it up.
I was trying to run it with a chinese high frequency machine but that just didn't work.
The table moves like it should and homes just fine but I am scared to death of hooking something up wrong and doing some damage to a very pricey machine.
I know I will need a torch height controller but I don't know where to start to look.
My XP 45 cutter is mounted only about five feet from my electronics so I don't need a long cable to connect the two.
Please reply with ideas and suggestions. Thanks
Dave

Return to “DIY Plasma Table & Accessory Discussion Forum”