Air Scribe Working great

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Air Scribe Working great

Post by msimpson99 »

I thought I would share my latest air scribe forays.

Before messing with any of my larger CNC machines, I have the air scribe currently connected to a small CNC I built for a series of Servo Magazine articles I just finished.
_MG_6098.jpg

I built a floating head where the weight of the scribe presents the perfect weight of the scribe on the metal plate. Where the head bottoms out I added some small springs that are preloaded with the full weight of the scribe. This allows me to adjust the actual pressure of the scribe by adjusting the Z-axis depth of cut. The deeper the Z-axis goes the higher the floating head raises off the springs, thus allowing me to adjust the pressure at the point.
_MG_6097.jpg

My shop air is pretty much set to 90PSI so I did not need a regulator at the scribe. I have a 5 way valve with the full open exhaust spraying into a bottle just in case there is any oil back spray. The valve connects into my oil fogger and then to the scribe.
_MG_6094.jpg
Here are a couple videos of the scribe in action:

https://youtu.be/732Mp0hfJk8

https://youtu.be/iykOrULuXAs

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Air Scribe Working great

Post by acourtjester »

I made a similar setup for my scribe, using spring pressure.
DSCN2139.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I like that spring loaded scribe setup. Mine is free floating right now. Though I haven't messed with it, I should be able to just add weights to increase down pressure. Changing the springs on your setup would do the same thing.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When setting up the scribe you just move the Z down to the pressure you want on the tip and zero out the Z dro.
The lift it up to about 1" and start the operation, the rapids will move the scribe around with out touching and run Z to "0" for marking.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by msimpson99 »

I want to be clear about my design which is different very different. My springs are on the bottom, so increasing the spring reduces the weight. My floating head is plenty heavy enough to provide the pressure needed to make the deepest marks. The springs were chosen so that they are loaded by the weight of the head. The ease up on the pressure, I deepen the cut a little.

Both work pretty much on the same principle, I tried the spring push version, but decided to try this one. I prefer the bottom type as it means I can use a simple servo or solenoid. to raise and lower the head if needed. I dont have to fight against a spring.

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”