Exhaust and Oil spray

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Exhaust and Oil spray

Post by msimpson99 »

I have been doing some test with my floating head scribe and all is well. One observation though. I am using a 5way 2 position solenoid and have noticed that when the CNC shuts off the the exhaust port lets loose and discharges the pen very fast. This creates a fog of oil that while its does not seem to be alot, it does buildup over time.

One thought I had was to install a fitting for a tube and attach said tube to the exhaust port. The other end could be sitting in a jar with a lid with a hole. I'm sure the oil spray is coming from the hose between the fogger and the tool.

Any suggestions?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Exhaust and Oil spray

Post by acourtjester »

If you have the plumbing hook the way it sounds you are creating a problem for yourself.
Do you have the fogger before the solenoid or after it, I don't think you should be running oil through the solenoid. IMHO
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
msimpson99
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Exhaust and Oil spray

Post by msimpson99 »

I fixed the problem.

Its a 5way valve. Each direction has an exhaust. This allows the air in the tool to evacuate very quickly. I found this pretty much garantees a restart of the tool, even when set to 1.

The fogger is after the solenoid but if the tool exhausts it blows any oil in the line back out through the exhaust port of the selonoid.

To fix the problem I just run the exhaust port through a tube and into a bottle. Works very well. Been using the thing all day without a single failed start.

Started with floating head with the weight of the tool, trucks, and plate as the down force. I found it a bit much and was getting some deep engravings. I added a couple light springs and things are much better. This is probably not my final design but its working very well. Will be doing a blog on it a littl e later.

I really like the five way solenoid as it gives you a ton of things to tweak. If I add an air cylinder, I will be using a second solenoid of the exact same type. Apparently by putting a flow control valve on each exhaust, you can adjust the speed the cylinder travels in both directors independently.

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”