How do you create this with a plate marker?

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

How do you create this with a plate marker?

Post by ajk2004 »

Hey guys,
I have recently set up my plate marker and am getting it dialed in and want to tinker on a few small things. I have a bladerunner package from C and CNC and I use sheetcam and Mach3. Im not sure what the correct terminology is, but I would like to mark out a pocket with my engraver. I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I found an image on google. I don't care about the shape, but by looking at the image, this should give you an idea of what I want to do. Basically make several lines within a shape. So it isn't just marking a shape, it is marking the whole inside of that shape. Thanks.
Andy
cnc pocket.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

HaasMetalDesigns
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: How do you create this with a plate marker?

Post by HaasMetalDesigns »

I do not own a plate marker but I would thing you just put a lot of single lines to make the shape you are doing
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

You could use a router tool, and the operation is a pocket with zigzag action, here is what it looks like but you would need to experiment to find a tool size to fill in the drawing completely. you can see the letter shapes and the pocket path.
filler.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ajk2004
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ajk2004 »

acourt,
Thank you for your reply. I believe I tried to do this last night. When I went to go add tool, it said, "no tool available," Do I need to add my plate marker as my tool somewhere? And how do I determine depth? I just want the aux. port to 'fire' when its supposed to. The depth will be dictated by air pressure I would guess. I'm just wondering where I can go to read up on how to do this. I've looked and so far I have been unsuccessful. Thanks.
Andy
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

When you set things up in SheetCam you can make tools do different things. Go to tool at the top click on new rotary tools and a new menu pops up then under type pick router and give it the specifics. Remember you are just giving it how to do what you want it does not care what tool you are using it is just creating the actions. By using a router (rotary tool) you can have SheetCam draw with a ink pen, mark with a scribe. You just tell it to move down 0.010" and make only one level ( cut depth of 0.010") to the drawing path. To do what you want use the pocket action (zigzag) will cover the inside of the shape you have drawn.
To shape the outside you use the contour function it will only cut /mark the shape. After you plan out the operation it will show on the screen and you can edit the operation until you get what you want it to do. Changing the tool diameter and the overlap % (step over) will change the number of lines it does how fine the detail is.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”