Scribe post that works with Z axis

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Scribe post that works with Z axis

Post by motoguy »

I just ordered a Dotco scribe. I want to add this to my capabilities. I'd like to use the 7.5" of Z travel I have available, instead of an air ram. My Bulltear table has "ears" placed on the torch holder, where accessories can be mounted. I'd like to add an adjustable plate to this, with a rail on the bottom, and the Z axis mounted to the rail.

Basically, same setup that Brandx is using (scribe weight is the only pressure), but using Z travel instead of air scribe. Does anyone use a setup like this? I guess worst case I could use a the standard Mach3 post, which I use with my pen holder?

I'll get some photos later, as I'm headed out the door right now. I just hate to add the mass of the air slide assembly to the gantry/Z, when it doesn't seem necessary.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Scribe post that works with Z axis

Post by acourtjester »

I have tried the Brand X method and it works I have not used it very much. The one nice thing is not having to force the scribe down, and you can add weight if needed to get the effect you want. I used like you said a standard Mach 3 post like the one used for the pen function. I would set the scribe by touching the metal surface and then going maybe .100" past that point so the tip would have good contact during operation.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

I changed my scribe to the floating method, I just wasn't happy hanging a bunch of extra weight on the gantry. I made a magnetic mount for my scribe, so I can snap off my torch and snap on my scribe. The mount is engineered so the center of the scribe is the same as the torch center.
I made another magnetic mount for my scan-anything camera, so I can easily switch tools around.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

WyoGreen wrote:I changed my scribe to the floating method, I just wasn't happy hanging a bunch of extra weight on the gantry. I made a magnetic mount for my scribe, so I can snap off my torch and snap on my scribe. The mount is engineered so the center of the scribe is the same as the torch center.
I made another magnetic mount for my scan-anything camera, so I can easily switch tools around.

Steve
I love this idea. It solves several issues. I think I'll give this a try.
cutting$burning
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutting$burning »

Ooops
Last edited by cutting$burning on Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cutting$burning

I changed my scribe to the floating method, I just wasn't happy hanging a bunch of extra weight on the gantry. I made a magnetic mount for my scribe, so I can snap off my torch and snap on my scribe. The mount is engineered so the center of the scribe is the same as the torch center.

Steve

Steve, thanks for sharing this info and would you post pictures of the scribe mount and the scanything mount? I am interested in doing a set up like yours. Also what usb cord do you use for the camera? Thanks D
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

Hi D

I just used a USB extension cable for the camera. I didn't run it in the cable carrier though because you have to be careful of cable length on USB.
I'll take a picture of the mount next trip out to the shop. It is just a homemade magnetic torch mount that I replaced with a lighter version a while back. I wasn't so worried about weight as far as the camera or scribe went, so I reused it on the scribe. I simply turned a piece of wood the same diameter as the torch and bored a hole down the middle for the scribe, then mounted it in the holder. Same sort of setup works for the camera too.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
cutting$burning

[
I just used a USB extension cable for the camera. I didn't run it in the cable carrier though because you have to be careful of cable length on USB.
I'll take a picture of the mount next trip out to the shop. It is just a homemade magnetic torch mount that I replaced with a lighter version a while back. I wasn't so worried about weight as far as the camera or scribe went, so I reused it on the scribe. I simply turned a piece of wood the same diameter as the torch and bored a hole down the middle for the scribe, then mounted it in the holder. Same sort of setup works for the camera too.

Steve
Steve,
Thanks for replying and sorry about the double post, I can't seem to take the first one down. The length of the usb cord was the reason I was curious because the way I understand how it works is it has to have a booster if over 16 feet, some of the boosters are in the middle of the cord some on one end. trying to figure out the difference Also price can vary alot from cord to cord. I'm also thinking about zip tying it to the outside of the cable carrier because of the little booster box. Looking forward to the pics (no rush) and smart thinking with the wood adapter to use same mount for multiple tools. Hats off to you for your line of thinking with all of the tools lining up at the exact same point, just pop one off and pop another one on. Thanks for the share D
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

Here is the 50' powered USB cable I use with my Super eyes 005. Works well, and I use it with the Xbox controller when the camera isn't hooked up.

PTC 15 m / 49 ft USB2.0 Active repeater / extension M/F cable - Supports High speed 480 Mbps data rate. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040IG1A6/re ... UxbPXSBN68
cutting$burning

Here is the 50' powered USB cable I use with my Super eyes 005. Works well, and I use it with the Xbox controller when the camera isn't hooked up.

PTC 15 m / 49 ft USB2.0 Active repeater / extension M/F cable - Supports High speed 480 Mbps data rate. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040IG1A6/re ... UxbPXSBN68
Thanks motoguy, Active Repeater thats the words I was looking for. I have the same camera so it should work great. Thanks D

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”