Want to build a plate marker

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Want to build a plate marker

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Okay seen a few here and getting ideas. First off I'm on my second home built table and thanks to Hypertherm and CandCam they have run great. Now wanting to play with a occasional marker. I really like _Ogre's set up a bunch.Going with either electric or air not sure which yet. I have one of each sitting in the tool box. Having a idea on a home built slide. What do yall think about using a air ram to push up and having the scribe spring loaded to where it goes down if the ram doesn't have air? Just thinking it might eliminate a extra regulator and then only need a switch to activate the cylinder down.. just brainstorming
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Want to build a plate marker

Miller 251 Mig
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Mine is this opposite it has a internal spring for return. One regulator to push down and another for the scribe. :D
But your a DIY guy go for what you want.
DSCN1481.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

This is a good one. Only 3 inch travel but you could work around on mounting setups. Yes more can be good, but there are way to make this one work very well (IMO)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151861773725?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

you 2nd ebay link is the one i'd use if the 50mm slide is enough
it has flow control valves built in, less to buy :mrgreen:

i use one pneumatic 5 way valve and one regulator on either air or electric
the regulator controls down pressure (5-15 psi), the scribe ran full pressure; both hooked to the same outlet with a T to the regulator
the scribe has a speed control built on the unit
i used flow control valves to control the up/down speed

the scribe post processor turns the air on/off for each scribe line, so the scribe goes up/down a lot
i wished i knew more about modding posts, i'd turn the scribe on and down once and use the z axis movement for line segments

that said... i've tried slow line feed, double lines and repeat scribing over the same lines
even in aluminum the scribing is too light to be of much use, you have to hold the material in the right light to see it
we had high hopes for scribing part numbers and logos on tags and welding them to exhaust systems
we never use it, maybe a rotary dremell would work better, i believe kkroger uses a router for most of his engraving

i did extensive scribing of our company logo into the side of the pc cabinet
no one ever notices it :cry:

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

_Ogre wrote:
that said... i've tried slow line feed, double lines and repeat scribing over the same lines
even in aluminum the scribing is too light to be of much use, you have to hold the material in the right light to see it
we had high hopes for scribing part numbers and logos on tags and welding them to exhaust systems
we never use it, maybe a rotary dremell would work better, i believe kkroger uses a router for most of his engraving
I was wondering how a cheap Mini die grinder,(Fits in the standard torch holder too) with something like this in the collet..
Cheap enough to try one.. I got my mini die grinder setup now with a bit..(not the e-bay bit ) More for a different effect while marking..

1/8 collet or grinder would open up the bit selection ..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151942760125?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Thank you for the help..forgot where this post was at..lol court I like your idea better on a spring upward and Ogre I think i will go your route on the electric scribe since I have both here but can replace the electric one cheap and quick if it messes up..well when it messes up in our world.
Miller 251 Mig
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Reread your update on the electric so might change my mind on that route.. was thinking might be cool to scribe sometimes. Then run some black dye over the writing and wipe it off real quick..then do the copper patina over the top or vice versa just do make it pop a little
Miller 251 Mig

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”