Z axis and Scribe

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
Dale1962
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Z axis and Scribe

Post by Dale1962 »

we have a precision plasma gantry with candcnc ethercut blade runner, ohmic sensor, and dthcIV, we are trying to add a scribe (plate marker) we are using the sheetcam post Processor DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev 11D3,here is our current settings for our scribe setup, we have a few problems we cant figure out the main one is the torch Z axis will go to the plate and not lift back up again and it will try and do the scribe operation path and drag the torch head (scribe is mounted to an airslide on the Z carraige)

--****************************SETTINGS FOR PLATE MARKER (SCRIBER) SETUPS*********************************

--Scriber X,Y,Z offsets in MILLIMETRES. Do not use inches here even if you want inch code
--For the marker use the scriber Z as the offset from Z zero you want the Z to move to during a scribe.
--Change these values to suit your scriber setup
scriberX = -65
scriberY = 0
scriberZ = nil
--scriber axis. Leave this as nil if the scriber is fixed to the same axis as the torch
scriberAxis = "A"

--If this value is set to true then use G28 (home) for the Z reference
--Set it to false for G31 probe
refHome = true

--this value when set to "true" will set the Z to lift to rapid height between paths when using the marker tool.
--if false it will not lift the Z between paths but will at the end
markerZ = true
drillZ = .250
---**************************************END OF PLATE MARKER SETTINGS***************************************

I think we have everything set according to everyone on these forums, is there anything we are missing, the only thing we can think of is it has something to do with the ohmic sensor and te DCC, please advise

thank you
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Z axis and Scribe

Post by _Ogre »

post up a picture of your scribe setup.
you have no reference as to air slide or mounting, so everything i post is a crap shoot
i can only reference my scribe setup, in reality i know nothing about your machine
it would also help to post the first 20 lines of scribe g code
scriberAxis = "A"
indicates that you have a separate axis for your scribe.
that your scribe is not attached to the same gantry as the plasma torch
try setting scriberAxis = nil
scriberZ = nil
indicates your scribe in the down position is at the same level as your plasma torch
and you'll need to remove the plasma torch to scribe

when my table scribes; the torch touches off on the metal (tripping the thc switch),
the z axis come up to the z axis offset, then the x,y axis offsets, then the air slide comes down (also scribe on).

one area i had problems with; in sheetcam>options>job options>material tab
the rapid clearance value was .3937 and this number showed in my g code to give me a negative z axis travel
aka torch crash :mrgreen:

i also have to add the M09 to the g code at the end of the last scribe command to raise the air slide
otherwise the scribe would stay down as the machine returned to 0,0
i don't scribe a whole lot and really haven't played with the functions much
usually i use separate g code for scribe and plasma

maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

First off does you ohmic sensor work when doing plasma cutting. Next thing is there are offsets you need to find and installed in the Post Processor so it knows the relationship between the torch and scribe. The 2 centers are not the same the software is used to find the metal surface then and retract the Z to a home position for the scribe operation. Then it moves the X and Y axis to put the scribe at its starting position. The the scribe operation will trigger the by M7 or M8 to to power the solenoid for the air cylinder down and run the scribe. If it is set correctly at the end of the operation M9 will turn off the air solenoid and the cylinder will go up (if its spring return) and the scribe stop running (some have the other M on for another solenoid for air to push the cylinder up).
I don't use the ohmic sensor I use a floating head switch I think it is more reliable. Paint, rust, and dirt with cause the ohmic sensor to fail to detect the metal surface.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
blackandtan
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by blackandtan »

I have basically the same setup as you but without the ohmic and I don't think that will matter. I moved my torch mount over and mounted the scribe slide to the front of the Z beside the torch mount and I also mounted the solenoid for the scribe on the slide and it works a lot better than mounting it on the side of the table. I will try to get a couple of pictures tomorrow. I will attach the settings I used on mine although your offsets will be different. I have had a problem with the 11D post not adding the last M09 to turn off the scribe if the scribe is the only operation but everything works like it should if plasma is used after the scribe.
Scribe settings.JPG
I just saw this from above. Same problem I am having.

(i also have to add the M09 to the g code at the end of the last scribe command to raise the air slide
otherwise the scribe would stay down as the machine returned to 0,0
i don't scribe a whole lot and really haven't played with the functions much
usually i use separate g code for scribe and plasma)

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Dale1962
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Dale1962 »

here is pictures of our scribe setup and a scriber code (whole) without any of your modifications

N0010 G00 X14.404 Y56.829 (Filename: mancard scriber.tap)
N0020 (Post processor: DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev11D3.scpost)
N0030 (Date: 04/03/2015)
N0040 G20 (Units: Inches)
N0050 F1
N0060 G53 G90 G40
N0070 (Part: ManCard2)
N0080 M09
N0090 Z0.500
N0100 (Operation: No Offset, WHITE, T100: Plate marker)
N0110 (tool number: 100 Distance between Touch-offs: 10 Feedrate: 40)
N0120 G00 X0.000 Y0.000
N0130 G00 Z0.500
N0140 X16.963 Y56.331
N0150 M900 (Check for Z active)
N0160 G28.1 Z0.02 (Start Touch-Off )
N0170 G92 Z0.0
N0180 G00 Z0.003 (Switch Offset Lift)
N0190 G92 Z0.0

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

11D3 is problematic why aren't you sticking with 11D?

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”