material hold down clamps

All topics related to fab & weld tables, grind stations, material handling & storage, etc.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

material hold down clamps

Post by _Ogre »

i posted this in the plate marker question thread, but figured anyone could use these.
i typically hold small pieces down with chunks of half inch plate i have laying around, this didn't work so well with the plate marker.

i was scribing some 16ga aluminum and no matter what i stacked on the aluminum i couldn't get the material from moving on me. the sheet was vibrating like a drum. i solved the dragging material around problem by buying harbor fright mini visegrips (set of 4 for $7) and welding a simple angle bracket on them.

i do have big hands, but these are micro visegrips :mrgreen:

material clamp, sheet clamps, plasma table hold down

(edited pics)

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by _Ogre on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: material hold down clamps

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Great idea . . .maybe we could all put our heads together along with your idea and create the ultimate material clamp for CNC Plasma Cutters . . .

For those that don't want to weld maybe you could remove the factory rivet and install your little L-Bracket with a shoulder bolt . . .

I like it a lot . . .

Thanks
Steve :D
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
WyoGreen
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Great idea, I was just thinking of a way to clamp my material for my plate marker. You've saved me some brain waves, and lord knows I don't have a lot to spare anymore! :D

Thanks, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Here's a simple method Dave (DXF) uses in the attached thread.

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... amp#p15162
cutting$burning
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by cutting$burning »

Great Idea Ogre! Thanks for sharing, a simple low cost solution to save time, material, and lots of cursing. Awsome Thank You D
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

An added benefit is a far better ground if you depend on your slats for even partial ground. :D

Great idea . . . :D

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
hacnwac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by hacnwac »

These are just some crude ones I slapped together in a hurry one day. The main thing I like about these ones is that if measured properly the only thing sticking above material surface is the Height of the wing nut. Sometimes I am not always attentive enough :oops:
Mark

_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

post your clamp ideas up peoples :mrgreen:
i have 10 more of these micro visegrips to modify, they're not worth much for visegripping
i may weld up some similar to muzza posted, by dave (dxf)
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Conjured up this design since reading the first post. Please note it's a design CONCEPT off the top of my head, not a cut and tested design. But if it spawns some improved ideas that's good enough for me.

It can be cut out of bits of say 3mm (1/8th) sheet. The black lines are open contour cuts to create tabs, the red lines are fold points, the yellow bit represents the plate, the green is a 100mm high slat.

One benefit of this design is it's low profile and only sticks up above the top of the plate being cut by the thickness of the clamp material itself.

A nut and bolt can be used through the two tabs with holes in. This pull the top clamp down onto the plate being cut. An extra nut could be used to permanently hold the bolt in place in the lower part of the clamp. The bolt also acts as a bit of a handle then.

I've attached a dxf but remember this is just a quick "knock-up" in Coreldraw, and you may want to alter dimensions to improve it.

Where the red dotted fold line is with the slim rectangular opening, the fold will be a full 180 degrees so you end up with a U-shape and the clamp bends around the slat (top and bottom same).

Criticisms and improvements welcome.

Keith

2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

Here's my take on the OP's design. I took a look at the cheap vise grips at Menards, they were total junk, couldn't turn the adjusting screws on them, looked like the holes were taped at an angle. So I ended up with real vise grips, much nicer (of course they were 3 times the price!). I don't put up with junk tools, just not worth it in the long term. Anyway, instead of welding the straps on, I removed the rivets holding one of the pads on, and used a screw to put the strap on. I figured that way the straps could swivel when I clamped the plate down.
DSC_0075.jpg

Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

hacnwac wrote:These are just some crude ones I slapped together in a hurry one day. The main thing I like about these ones is that if measured properly the only thing sticking above material surface is the Height of the wing nut. Sometimes I am not always attentive enough :oops:
Mark
If you use Allthread couplers on the lower tubular portion that you have current have a bolt welded into then you could use any low profile screw or bolt and almost nothing would stick up.
Great ideas here.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
hacnwac
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by hacnwac »

Yes btburn allthread couplers would work but this is what I had on hand. The reason I welded the thread on the square bar was to keep the top half of the clamp from turning while tightening the the wing nut. Any type of nut or fastener would work but with wing nuts its one less wrench or other tool I have to keep track of and pick up.
ark
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

here's a piece of aprox 4x4x3/8'' stainless steel that i needed to cut one more flange out of the drop
there's no way i could have done this without the piece moving or tipping up when doing the touch and go
these clamps work well :mrgreen:

even with a long piece of 3/8x5 stock, it has a tendency to drag the torch on pierce slag and rotate the part
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

muzza wrote:Here's a simple method Dave (DXF) uses in the attached thread.

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... amp#p15162
I ordered some HF locking pliers, to duplicate _Ogre's hold down clamps. Until they get here, I'm going to use some of these. I cut a dozen or so of these yesterday. First parts I cut on my machine!

Thanks for the ideas guys.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

_Ogre wrote:i posted this in the plate marker question thread, but figured anyone could use these.
i typically hold small pieces down with chunks of half inch plate i have laying around, this didn't work so well with the plate marker.

i was scribing some 16ga aluminum and no matter what i stacked on the aluminum i couldn't get the material from moving on me. the sheet was vibrating like a drum. i solved the dragging material around problem by buying harbor fright mini visegrips (set of 4 for $7) and welding a simple angle bracket on them.

i do have big hands, but these are micro visegrips :mrgreen:

my slat holders are 10 ga fingers bent into angles. they hold my slats 10ga width off the bottom of my water table tray. the angle bracket on the visegrip slides under the slat and holds the material firm. i also tried an inverted T bracket, these L brackets are easier to insert under the slats.

material clamp, sheet clamps, plasma table hold down
I made 8 of these, and really like them. Instead of welding, I too replaced the rivet with a bolt so the bracket can pivot. Great idea. Very useful. Thanks!
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
keefe08
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by keefe08 »

How about these? kinda like what Keith was talking about (wish I'd seen that before we made these). Just slip the little nut on the bottom under the slat, place the angle iron ear over the sheet, and torque it down. Since it clamps the material onto the slat instead of between slats the deflection is minimal, just depends on how much crap is on the top of you slats :lol:)
I like the simplicity of the vise grip clamps but our gantry is a low rider and would wack those suckers all day.

Plasron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Plasron »

Great Ideas guys, Thanks for sharing
Windows 10 64 bit laptop
Gorilla 4x4 table
Proma torch height control
Gecko mini gender changer to USB
Everlast 80 S Plasma cutter