Low Buck Air Scribe (Plate Marker) build Updated

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Low Buck Air Scribe (Plate Marker) build Updated

Post by kkroger »

Here is a BOM and Basic Instructions of where to get the parts and how to connect them
First the BOM...
Here are the items and their part numbers and costs associated as well as where I got them...
Without attendant Sales Taxes that will depend on your location, there may also be suitable subs for a lot of these parts, Walmart, Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Lowes, and a host of other places probably carry similar items, as well as McMaster Carr... Campbell Hausfeld makes similar items. as well as a host of others.

These items were sourced from Harbor Freight Either the Website or the Store
If you want to you could substitute the 3/8" versions of all of these for a few dollars more.
1/4" Water Trap/Filter Regulator Harbor Freight #68228 2 $13.99 $27.98
3/8" Oil Fogger Harbor Freight #68233 1 $10.99 $10.99
1/4" Regulator with Gauge Harbor Freight #68226 1 $9.99 $9.99
5x 1/4" NPT Coupling Harbor Freight # 94770 5 $0.99 $4.95
Tee or Manifold to split Air into 3 Harbor Freight 1 $8.99 $8.99
3' hose whips I used the Hose Remnants from Harbor Freight for $5.49 The Intent is the same 2 $5.99 $11.98

These items came from E-Bay
From the manufacturer/importer/distributor These are THE ones you want. They will plug into the 120VAC aux outs on the CandCNC Controller
Or some others, no need to switch to DC or anything like that. Plug and play, in the CandCNC box M07 activates AUX A, M08 activates AUX B
You could also sub 3/8" versions of these as well if you wish, there is nothing gained by it.

Scribe Circuit
1/4" Inch Pneumatic 3 Way 2 Position Electric Solenoid Air Valve 1 Coil 110V AC 1 $24.99 $24.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/111108278167?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Slide Circuit
1/4" Pneumatic 4 Way 2 Position Electric Solenoid Air Valve Single Coil 110V AC 1 $24.99 $24.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/121088851621?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The Following items Sourced from McMaster Carr

The Connections on my Air Slide use 1/8 BSPT British Standard Pipe Taper...
this is NOT the same taper as NPT, NPT will not fit. You will need to source fittings for YOUR slide.

Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Swivel 90 Degree Elbow, 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPT Male 2 $3.42 $6.84
Push-to-Connect Tube Fitting for Air, Extended 90 Degree Elbow, 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4 NPT Male 1 $6.58 $6.58
Choose-A-Color Flexible Nylon Tubing, .180" ID, 1/4" OD, .035" Wall Thickness, Black, 50 ft. Length 1 $22.00 $22.00
Choose-A-Color Flexible Nylon Tubing, .180" ID, 1/4" OD, .035" Wall Thickness, Blue, 25 ft. Length 1 $11.00 $11.00

This item came from E-Bay but pretty much any cylinder that is double acting and long enough stroke to work in your application.

The Slide I used is an SMC They can be had lightly used for around $100 and all the way up to about $450 I've seen similar units for less than $30 and even as low as $5 use at your own peril!

http://stores.ebay.com/JCs-Industrial-C ... 34.c0.m322

20mm bore 100mm stroke air slide (Purchased NOS out of box) 1 $39.99 $39.99

Air Scribe (India) This is available from Amazon SHIPPED at this price,
you could use the chinese variant or the CP Variant... for the additional cost. 1 $49.99 $49.99
The Chinese variant and the CP look identical, the Chinese and the CP can use the same CP branded Tips The Indian one uses Tips Unique to that tool. And they appear to only be available on E-bay from a seller in Hong Kong.. the CP parts are more readily available.
The Chinese Variant is about $80 shipped
The CP is about $270 shipped.
$261.26
Please Excuse the Ghetto Torch mount, That will change as soon as I get my PM65...
My intent here is to show that the same thing that is being sold for around a $1000+ without the scribe, from some vendors can be built for right around $200 without the scribe This is not the ONLY way to do it but it is the way I did it.

I also used a couple salvage Computer power cords to cannibalize for this wired into the solenoids.
I made a mounting plate from some Scrap 18 ga.

So Line Air IN to the Filters/Regulators, 25PSI on First Reg in the Slide Circuit, 10PSI on the second Regulator (DOWN) force on the Slide. 25 UP, 10 DOWN. 25 PSI will retract the ram with enough force to toss a 2# Cast Iron Weight the Piston in the slide is 20mm So that is just SHY of an inch... about 7/8 I think, so you will be applying about 20# of force to the slide with 25PSI...
80PSI on the scribe side, in to the Filter, out to the solenoid In to the Oiler OUT to the Scribe. again keeping oil out of the solenoid.
Last edited by kkroger on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Low Buck Air Scribe (Plate Marker) build

Post by _Ogre »

2 solenoid valves and 3 regulators?
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Too much BS, I won't bother helping anymore.
Last edited by kkroger on Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Good luck on the air scribe from India, I had to remove burs from the piston inside mine to get it to work also it will not work with a Chicago Pneumatic replacement scribe tip. If I build another I will buy the real deal Chicago.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Last edited by kkroger on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I was not condemning your post only making other aware of equipment quality :lol:
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Nothing to see here.
Last edited by kkroger on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TJS
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TJS »

Little confused. Is the slide different from the linear thruster. What is the search criteria on ebay did you use for the slide and the thruster.
Thanks.
T.J.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

search under pneumatic slide MRO & industrial supply

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robohand-DLT-12 ... 9595&rt=nc
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Nothing to see here.. Move along
Last edited by kkroger on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by I Lean »

I appreciate the work that went into documenting what you've done so far, and I look forward to further updates. 8-)
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Moving on...
Last edited by kkroger on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Not questioning the build, but there are easier methods.

One solenoid will work just add a T to split the air down and to the scribe. Down pressure is the only regulation you need. Cylinder speed can be regulated with one way valves. Same with the scribe speed.

The M08/M09 command turns on/off in the g code. You can manually add the commands in mach3 edit function. I haven't found a post processor that sends the final M09 command.

For ultra cheap you can get an electric scribe for$17 at home Depot. I bought a air scribe at a yard sale that ended up being to cheap to work . I'm back using the electric one.
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

I am done.
Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

That turned to crap quickly
grindergary

Post by grindergary »

Terrific,

Post removed before I had a chance to get the info on this set up.

kkroger, thanks for the time you put in.

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

here is an earlier post about the same thing
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=14732
have fun
Tom
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Wow, a little sensitive to outside input. Good or bad it all helps.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

tnbndr wrote:Wow, a little sensitive to outside input. Good or bad it all helps.
No, not sensitive at all. Just don't feel like wasting my time posting what I did, when it will just be torn down because it wasn't half assed enough.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

Maybe we should all give you an attaboy and tell everyone that this is the best way to get it done.
Not sure why you post on a public forum with such thin skin
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Everyone has their own opinion on how to get things done, especially when it comes to home made options. I for one am very saddened that the post was taken down and on some of the responses given.

Just because someone wants to do something different or has a different idea on how to accomplish the task doesn't mean that the original design was correct or lame or otherwise, its just different. I have been wanting to make a scribe for my table and enjoy looking at everyone's ideas on how to get it done. Each one seems to have a bit of ingenuity that is pretty awesome and could be incorporated with the others if wanted.

Posting on a public forum, just like speaking on a public stage always brings in a factor of criticism from some. Take it with a smile and welcome it for what it is worth....but in the end do your own thing and be happy with it knowing it is what you want.

I have had many ideas presented to others where someone has come up and said "Why didn't you just do this". Sometimes I get a little offended and just smile and say "I will have to think about that next time". Sometimes I just stare and think to myself "Duh....why didn't I think of that, that would have been so much easier". Either way we learn and grow.

I hope you put your original post back up, even if it is not what others may do it can spark ideas that may lead to other things and maybe you yourself will get something back from it as well.

Either way I hope that you continue to contribute to the forum. It's ideas and input from everyone that allows this forum to grow and be as awesome as it is.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
plain ol Bill

Post by plain ol Bill »

I agree w/ Gamelord wholeheartedly and it is a shame you took the thread down. Try not to let someone else's opinions and/or reccomendations get in your head.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

Brother don't let others get you so upset, some people just don't appreciate or understand your approach to what you did. If it works for you then the heck with everyone else's opinions. You were just trying to help out and I appreciate that. Sometimes we have to be the bigger person and just listen to good or bad opinions knowing that all or even part of your thread will help others. That's what this forum is all about, helping each other... In every group their are good and bad people and often times their post or views are taken in the wrong context ruffling feathers in the process.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by kkroger »

Not even remotely upset, I really don't care how anyone does it. The entire point of the thread was to assemble the same setup as one that is sold (without scribe) for $700-$1500 depending on the vendor... For less, I did it including the scribe (choose your poison here) the CP scribe included brings us to a skosh under $500... to use the Indian one puts us just under $270 and to use the Chinese one puts us at $310... ish. I provided the Bill of materials for the components and where to acquire them. As Well as Caveats on the various scribes (Apparently not good enough)

This is a photo that is used by one vendor of this setup. Yes it uses Two Solenoids, and Three regulators. I don't really care what you "Could" do instead it was intended to be the same. Simple concept really. I even made the brackets with what one may have in a lower buck plasma shop, a Drill Press, a Band saw and the CNC Plasma Machine for the mounting plate. and a few select hand tools, Tap and Tap handle.... a Scrap of 18 Ga Steel and a Drop of 1/4" 3003 Aluminum (just BARELY big enough) and a piece of 3" 6061 Flat Bar.
I just found out that the air tubing and fittings will be delayed yet another day by inept transport services.

Corfabrication
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Corfabrication »

i can send you some push on air tubing, if you get in a pinch.

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”