$100 scribe setup for plasma table

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

$100 scribe setup for plasma table

Post by _Ogre »

my $100 scribe setup :D

i used an electric scribe to keep cost down. if we do more than a few scribe jobs i may update to an air scribe but for now i can't justify the $230 cost
parts: self made brackets (on my bulltear table), $19 electric scribe (home depot), $10 solenoid (ebay), $29 air slide (ebay), $10 regulator (ebay) $6 tubing (home depot) and $20 in fittings (ebay)

i use the aux electrical output on the cancnc bladerunner control box to trigger the solenoid and scribe together
M08 turn them on and M09 turns them off. they can also be triggered using the xbox controller

simple bracket to mount my 6'' air slide.
bolted right into the pocket already machined into the mag base

you can also see my laser crosshair bracket in this pic

needed the 6'' slide to keep the area clear under the machine torch

control center consist of the air slide, air solenoid and regulator.
i did use a 15 psi air gauge on the regulator. i believe i have it set at 6 psi down pressure with full pressure up
i have control valves to control speed up and down
used double sided tape to hold the regulator and solenoid on the z axis plate

youtube video of the scribe in action plasma table scribe - YouTube

made a protractor for use on 2.5'', 304ss, exhaust tube. it can measure the inside radius or the outside radius
inside radius is more for use on the table

outside radius is handy for check the angle of a system on a vehicle with minimal clearance to the floor pan

one problem i have is finding or modifying a post processor. currently using the mach3 thc with scriber post.
not the best post for plasma as you can see some uncut lines in this pic, works fine for scribing.
the way the post is setup there is no m09 command to turn off or retract the scribe, easy fix is to edit gcode but i'd like to find a fix.
it inserts the command for individual segments of the scribe but not at the end before going to plasma.
my do around was to scibe with that post and cut with the mp1000-thc, still have to edit m09 into gcode

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: $100 scribe setup for plasma table

Post by _Ogre »

i guess i should add the file too :mrgreen:
4 layers: 0 layout, scribe, arm1 and arm2

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

I'm having the same problem with my scribe setup, I just emailed Tom at CandCNC some files to check out why the post isn't adding the final M09 command. Right now I just edit the post and add in the M09 line, then follow that with an G04 P0.5 and everything works ok. It sucks though when you're trying to nest a sheet of parts that are combined plate marker and plasma operations.... When I hear back or get an updated post I'll let you know, there's several people with this problem and I think Tom is working with Les at Sheetcam to figure it out....

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

oldsarge: you just saved me the effort. i was going to get on the sheetcam email list and ask les about the m09.
i can easily add the m09 in gcode, i looked at editing the post, cheeze got lost there, can't make heads or tails out of those post processors.
thanks, keep us posted if you hear back
m79b01
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by m79b01 »

No help right now but, I have one working that is also CandCNC. I think it is the MP1000 with/without scribe. works fine for mine. just add offset. I can send tomorrow if you PM your e-mail.
Precision Plama LLC SDB 5x10
CandCNC
Hypertherm 65
Mach3
SheetCAM
the GIMP
inkscape
QCAD
https://www.facebook.com/burtonskustom
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

I can help you with your post
tell me when you want m09 to appear, i ll tell you where to put it.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Forgot to ask what post are you using?
Exact name
Oldsarge
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Oldsarge »

The MP1000 post will work with the DTHC IV but you lose the ability to use rules in sheetcam like being able to turn off DTCH just before the end of a cut etc.... I'm using the MP3000 DTHC +Scribe. When I draw or edit a part, I always name 2 layers. 1 is Plasma, and the other is Scribe. When I am setting up my cutting operations, I always set up the scribe operation first on each piece and then the plasma operations. When the post is run, Sheecam will perform all the scribe operations first, and then do all the plasma cutting. Then it's just a matter of editing the .tap file and scroll down to the end of all the scribe operations and find the first plasma cut. Insert 2 new lines. Just for example, the last scribe line would be 1500..... You would insert these lines:

N1502 M09
N1504 G04 P0.5

That will turn off the marker, and return to rapid height and then the plasma process(es) will begin.

When I hear back from Tom I'll give you a heads up... I'm sure he'll post it on the support page as well....

Oldsarge
6x12 Home Built Table
Hypertherm PowerMax 85
CandCNC Dragon Cut 620 DTHC IV
CorelDraw X7, Sheetcam, Mach 3
"Better to attempt great things and fail than to live in the gray twilight where there is neither victory or defeat"
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

Looks good I have been thinking about doing this also. Will read up on your post processor deal. Thats the part I have worried about.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Is your tool set as a marker tool?
I checked in the post processor, and M09 is there If the tool is set as a plate marker when you create your tool.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

i've been out of town for a bit. i'm using stock post processors. the only one that seamed to have the scribe is mach3-with-scriber'', where i typically use the mp1000 for flat plasma but didn't see a post for mp1000 w/scribe. funny thing is on my home pc i do see a mp1000-thc-scriber.

i also use the mp3000-thc-round for round plasma in the tube chuck. would like to find a post for mp3000-round-w/scribe. the mp1000-thc and mp3000-thc-round was in my machine when i bought it from bulltear.

i don't even know where to find post processors. oldsarge would you mind sharing your mp3000-dthc+scriber?

i did get the part to run with mach3-with-scriber by turning the thc off. i don't think my thc (dthc) is working right. i need to work on that too.
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

Ogre, how is your electric scribe holding up?
got any pictures of engraving jobs you did?
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

MP3000-DTHCII+scriber2.scpost will work with older setups.

DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev11D.scpost will work with both older and newer DTHC systems BUT it uses the DCC features and may need screen and plugin updates I know it allows mixed jobs and turns things off when it should

Contact me direct for the files
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

not that i do that much scribing... but the dremel electric scribe is holding up fine
i scribed the side of my plasma desk on aluminum, while the scribe is deep it doesn't show well on the aluminum

if your thinking of setting up a scribe for your table i'd definitely use the electric scribe
$17 for the scribe, most of your cost will be in the controls, if you don't end up using it much, no great loss
if you eventually end up with an air scribe you use the same controls
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

MP3000-DTHCII+scriber2.scpost will work with older setups.
thanks tom, that's the post i use. as often as i scribe i'll just add the m09 gcode
jabtronic
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jabtronic »

Hi, I've got a quick question does that Numatics slide 'droop' when air is disconnected or does it hold it's position? Thanks
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Brand X »

jabtronic wrote:Hi, I've got a quick question does that Numatics slide 'droop' when air is disconnected or does it hold it's position? Thanks

Mine will after a few days, and I pull it down a bit.. I have the air pressure hooked up when plasma cutting. so the slide stays in the up position.. A lightweight spring, or even a bungee cord will allow for it to stay up without air hooked up.I could also close the valves on the slide to help with that, but it's fine as is..
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

my slide drops as soon as the air is disconnected, just leave the air on the table
unless you have leaks, your not 'using' any air

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”