Plasma Cam plate maker question

Questions, information, project pics and more relating to plate markers, engravers, and scribes.
BAMF
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Plasma Cam plate maker question

Post by BAMF »

Hey, I'm looking to set up a plate marker on my plasma cam and have been unable to find much info on set ups. Anybody have a plate marker or ideas how to get started with this?
Thanks
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Plasma Cam plate maker question

Post by _Ogre »

$29 air slide, $12 pneumatic valve and $20 worth of fittings off ebay and a $19 electric scribe and $6 worth of .25 tubing from homedepot is what i have in it so far.

i'll tell you how my $86 setup works when the valve gets here. i figure i'll try the electric scribe and see how it works. $19 electric vs $265 air scribe. i'm more woried about the $12 valve from china. :mrgreen:
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
BAMF
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by BAMF »

do you have any pics of the way you mounted it? also does the air scribe run continuously?
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

the mount is pretty simple. my bulltear table has mounting bosses on each side of the torch mag base. a simple plate with 3 holes for the base and 4 holes for the air slide is all i used. as for mounting the electric scribe to the air slide; 2 mounting holes on the air slide, a welded bracket and a hose clamp to hold the scribe on the bracket. it's pretty basic.

my bulltear table has a lot of z axis clearance, so i had to buy an air slide with a minimum of 6 inches of slide. go to ebay and search ''pneumatic air slide'' there are many to choose from. there are a lot of 2 inch slides for cheap, i had to look for a bit to get a cheap 6 inch slide.

i use candcnc electronics on my table they have outputs for accessories. i run laser x-hairs, a coolant pump and now the scribe and air slide. all run from gcode or in the case of the laser from the xbox controller.

the swirly thing is my mag base torch holder. the bracket on the right holds the air slide

the bracket

$29 air slide off ebay
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Here is a setup I used on my DIY table that works great parts similar to Ogre?s post. I used 2 air solenoids and regulators 90 PSI to the air scribe and 5 PSI to the cylinder both triggered at the same time. No delay start moving as soon as contact is made. I would use a different cylinder if I did it again one mounted at the far end not the end I used.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Plate Markers, & Air Scribes”